Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyadam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Miami, FL
Hey guys,

First time posting to the forums, but I've been reading them for years now, and finally committed to registering. :) How did you all promote your iPhone applications to get them from being buried in the iTunes archives to gaining popularity? I just got my App approved from Apple which was pretty much the longest 9 days of my life (if you're at all interested it's here: Random Facts). :cool:

Cheers,
Adam

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
You can do what you already did, and post it here in the user created apps. You can also find external advertising, like google for instance. (Don't ask me how, I've never done that stuff) The easiest way, though, is to get a dev account with sites like macupdate.com, versiontracker.com, and softpedia.com. These sites are all app sites, and now feature iphone apps. Putting your stuff up there will give you a lot more free exposure. I believe all three also have advertisement opportunities if you want to pay, which is probably easier than trying to advertise with someone else. Pocketgear.com, which I used to use for palm, covers multiple mobile platforms and may have iphone stuff now. If so, a dev account is free with them. There's also probably already a bunch of iphone specific sites where you can put up a listing. Everything combined will hopefully get you high enough up there in itunes to get exposure from THAT too. Of course, you need to have an app that at least LOOKS good. Good luck!

jstanier

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brighton, England.
There a lots (and many more upcoming) iPhone app review sites out there. Get in touch with them and submit a "press release" about your application. If it's not a free app, usually they will agree to do a review if you pay for their app download.

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
New York
Hey guys,

First time posting to the forums, but I've been reading them for years now, and finally committed to registering. :) How did you all promote your iPhone applications to get them from being buried in the iTunes archives to gaining popularity? I just got my App approved from Apple which was pretty much the longest 9 days of my life (if you're at all interested it's here: Random Facts). :cool:

Cheers,
Adam

Congrats on your first apps heres a few, ads not those dull ads without pics bring vivid pics with few words more pictures, also a good site that makes people think that your a professional, hope this helps good luck on your sales.

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Few ideas (I do all these myself) in no particular order:-

1.) Get yourself a fancy website showcasing your product
2.) Post videos of your app on YouTube
3.) Contact Doug over at http://www.appstoreapps.com and ask him to do a review
4.) Use the free £50 adcenter offer microsoft is offering at the minute
5.) Put a post on DIGG about your app
6.) Offer a Lite version of your app with a button to launch the App Store app to your paid version's product page
7.) Tell anyone and everyone about your product and website
8.) Start an RSS feed on http://www.feedburner.com about your app and its updates etc
9.) What everyone else has said
10.) Use your imagination!

Good luck!

heyadam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Miami, FL
Few ideas (I do all these myself) in no particular order:-

1.) Get yourself a fancy website showcasing your product
2.) Post videos of your app on YouTube
3.) Contact Doug over at http://www.appstoreapps.com and ask him to do a review
4.) Use the free £50 adcenter offer microsoft is offering at the minute
5.) Put a post on DIGG about your app
6.) Offer a Lite version of your app with a button to launch the App Store app to your paid version's product page
7.) Tell anyone and everyone about your product and website
8.) Start an RSS feed on http://www.feedburner.com about your app and its updates etc
9.) What everyone else has said
10.) Use your imagination!

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and made a "fancy" website here. What do you guys think? When I have the time I'll put up a mini tutorial on how make a site like that for your apps if you guys want. Thanks again for all the advice! :)

macster84

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
You also get 50 promo codes per each update to give away your app for free to app review sites. Its in iTunesConnect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.