Prong Debuts iPhone 'PWR Case' With Built-In Plug and Backup Battery

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Prong, the company behind the iPhone case with a built-in plug for easy charging, today announced an expansion to its product line up, debuting the Prong PWR case.

Like its existing PocketPlug combo cases, the PWR case includes an integrated plug for charging the iPhone, but it also comes equipped with a 1500 mAh detachable backup battery that can be used to charge the iPhone when it is away from a power source. The backup battery itself can also be detached and recharged via its built-in plug.

The case itself comes in multiple colors (black, white, blue-gray, and white-pink) and can be used with or without the battery pack attached, protecting the iPhone from scratches and drops. Designed for the iPhone 5 and 5s, the case also has a retractable A/C plug that folds down flat when it is not in use, and the battery pack utilizes "Quick Charge Technology" to deliver fast charging.

The Prong PWR Case can be preordered from the Prong website for $65, but will retail for $80. It will ship during the summer of 2014.

Article Link: Prong Debuts iPhone 'PWR Case' With Built-In Plug and Backup Battery
  2. macrumors member

Aug 2, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
  3. macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2014
  4. niw3, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2012
    Good thing we have cheap plug adaptors

Edit: According to Prong FAQ, it works with 110-240 Volts AC and plug adaptors indeed are all we need.
  5. macrumors member

May 24, 2010
    Those prongs are handy for sticking into anything soft, such as a pumpkin or a dead animal, to act as a hands-free holder.
  6. macrumors member

Apr 18, 2010
    I actually really, really like the look and functionality if this... just not keen on spending that much money when the next iPhone with a different form factor is right around the corner.
  7. macrumors 68020

Cuban Missles

Dec 6, 2012
    My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    I love my iphone 5s. I was surprised by how much the change in weight and thinness really made it feel better in my hand. For me bulky covers are not an option and this one will add weight as well. So unfortunately there is no way this would ever be on my list. Instead, I hope Apple continues to work on the battery life because I want a sexy sleek phone that last forever. Not bulk and heavy addons.

I know, this is just my opinion.....
  8. macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2009
    Well, it would work in Canada and Mexico and the rest of the central American countries. It would probably also work in Japan.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2010
    One of the few idea that I actually like. However, for a iPhone 5 owner, I'm due for my upgrade in a few month. Maybe they will come out with one for the next iPhone sooner.
  10. macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2008
    Precisely. Why design this with just an iphone 5 in mind? Simply remove all that plastic surround and make it a simple flat base that can accommodate any sized iphone.

Maybe that would bring the price down to a more affordable level as well.
  11. macrumors 68030

Agreed, and that is quite often the case with useful or tempting 3rd party accessories; it just seems to take that long to get a worthwhile add-on to market. Shame really.
  12. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    In my experience, power cases are normally introduced right as the model of iPhone they're made for is no longer able to make it more than ~6 hours on a full charge of their original battery.

IE, I bought my 3GS power case came out right when I needed it, right when I found that unplugging my iPhone 3GS at 6AM would see it run out of juice at noon.
  13. macrumors 68000

Jul 17, 2012
    SMT, Edo MX, MX
    Mexico is North America.
  14. macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2012
    Brookline, MA
  15. macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2009
    Naaaaaaarfolk, England
    Something makes me think this thing is never coming to the UK. I wonder what it might be....

Oh yes...