Proof For Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phillipjfry, Jan 19, 2007.

1. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I am going to get the 24'' iMac next week and I want to use the Educational Discount. What kind of proof do I have to show in order to get the discount? I am signed up and accepted to a technical college in the midwest. I plan on attending soon this year and have signed all the documents and the like. I don't, however, have a student ID or anything like that. Maybe somewhere I have a carbon copy of papers I have signed with them. I have read
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=250928
    and am NOT trying to "screw the system", but wanted to know if the E.D. is based on "honor system" or if there has to be some kind of verification in using the E.D.

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I believe it says on the page that you must be a current student or accepted into a college / university. I would imagine since you said you accepted and returned correspondence you have an acceptance letter around. That should serve as plenty of proof for them.

They do have random checks, and will ask you for a letter like I mentioned above or a current schedule.

4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

At the store they will ask for proof. Online its random.

But an acceptance letter is proof.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you are buying online, your school's website might have a link to their Apple Store. My friend was able to purchase this way, before having a student ID.

6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Still, same chance that you will be asked for proof.

7. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Well, I don't have an acceptance letter from them, per say. I went to them in person and took the tour and sat down for the sales pitch (after all, it is a sale they are after :) ). I do have a list of classes from them that I'm suppose to take (kinda like a track of all the classes and which semester to take them, etc). But none of the other formalities. It's a relatively small college around here, but still on the E.D. list. I have no problem with "random checks", just didn't know if I would get all the way through the checkout process and right before I could accept and "ship" they would be like "and one more thing..." :p

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

well if you get asked and don't have sufficient proof, not sure what happens.

9. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Then I just go through the regular store.apple.com
    No biggie really :)
    I just figured if I am able to actually eligible an educational discount, why not take advantage of it :confused:

10. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

You can get a "proof of registration" letter and take it into the Apple store (if you don't have a ID card)

11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Might be more serious then that.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you actually complete the purchase through the education store and a later audit shows that you weren't eligible to purchase through the store, at a minimum you have to pay the difference between the EDU price and the regular price. Apple also has the ability to take legal action against you if it shows that you've engaged in blatant abuse of the purchase program.

13. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

You think they will cane me if I try to order with E.D. and don't have "enough" proof (as opposed to a "complete lack of")? :)

I just saw the post above me, yea it can get pretty serious but I can always try to fax them a copy of my classes I plan to take (created by the school) and/or the carbon copy I have of me signing an "acceptance"

14. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

A friend of mine just bought a 30" ACD at the Apple store. He brought along a
    friend who showed her student ID and he got the discount.

Also, a friend got me the employee discount when I bought a Rev B iMac
    ($1860.00 before the discount), and it was no big deal.

15. slu macrumors 68000

slu

16. Impulse29 macrumors member

From experience, ordering from the website is easier with the student discount. You don't even need to enter a real one (although I did, but it lets you into the store either way). The actual Apple stores are different, and you need to show ID or some kind of proof (an acceptance letter is good enough) to get the discount.

I live in Canada, and when I got my macbook, I calculated it would be cheaper to buy it in the USA. I went there on the last day of the mac + free iPod promotion, but learned that I had to be a student in the US to receive the discount. Luckily I knew another student in the area, and managed to get it.

17. psingh01 macrumors 65816

If you don't have an ID your next best bet is if your school has a website where you can show your current schedule. Just get on one of the macs in the apple store and show them your schedule and maybe your license to prove it is you and you are set. I plan purchase one with the discount but I graduated last year. Hopefully my ID is good enough....;)