proof: frontrow is coming for everything?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kyle Nerder, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...du92avrTNNk/1.SLID?mco=BB5E48CD&nplm=MA128G/A

crusing the the apple store and found this. it doesn't seem to be specific to the iMac. Maybe it is now, but it looks like more machines will be coming to accomodate FrontRow. The text in red leaves the remote open to other computers.

funny thing is that the page wouldn't let me screeen capture it...odd.

I did print it to pdf.

What does everyone think? It's only a matter of time...

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I certainly hope so. And Photobooth as well.

One of the things I've always appreciated about OSX was that there was a standard edition across the board and we don't have to deal with OSX Home, OSX Premium, OSX Superduper Premium etc etc.

Lets hope it stays that way.

3. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

the remote is cool and all, but it takes batteries :eek: which is why apple should innovate and have it receive a charge through the magnetic holder on the side of the imac, now THAT would be cool :cool:

4. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

That is a cool idea. On another note, I believe FR will be bundled in all mac machines in the near future.

5. Bear macrumors G3

The remote in the Apple Store is out primarily for (as Apple says) <i>The Apple Remote requires the iPod Universal Dock and any iPod with a Dock connector. </i>

It's also for a replacement remote for people how have iMacs. (People break remotes in all sorts of strange ways that are not covered by warranty.)

As for other Macs, we'll have to wait and see. The new PowerMacs don't have an IR receiver in them.

6. reh macrumors 6502a

Highly unlikely.

Attached Files:

7. carpe diem macrumors 6502

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yup, it is for the Universal Dock for the iPod.

Front Row is not coming to older Macs, it's impossible. The last Mac with an IR port was (I think) the G3 PowerBook. The remote will not work with a Mac that doesn't have the IR port ie. all Macs bar the new iMac.

Apple aren't going to release a Bluetooth remote alongside their IR remote - it's too confusing for average joe customers. And that aside, bluetooth is only common on aluBooks, new iBooks, new minis and rev B iMacs. All in all, that's not a huge portion of the market with built-in bluetooth. It rules out most iBook owners, most mini owners, most iMac owners, most PowerMac owners and most eMac owners.

All I can see happening is a new Airport Express with video streaming capabilities (don't ask me how because I don't even know if it's possible) that projects Front Row's interface onto your TV and allows you navigate using the remote.

9. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Who uses IR for anything? except remotes, phones dont even have them anymore. BT is the new IR.

10. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

I agree with chundles, it's not going to happen, at least any time soon for that matter.

On top of that, it seems like front row was made just to test
    the waters in the home theater front. Front row still has a long way
    to go to grace all macs.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, Apple use IR for Front Row. There's one...

12. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Whats odd is that the perfect mac for front row isn't the iMac but the Mac Mini. I think it will come out for that in the future. Because then you can really use it as a media center, as opposed to a screen on your desk. Whats up with that?!

13. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Well if you remember Microsoft's media center...when it was first released it was only on HPs complete systems (and few others I think). It was not available as a stand alone product yet and didn't grace sff and tvs for quite sometime.

I think the iMac is perfect for now, for one, it was recently updated with improvements so naturally including Front Row would be another incentive to buy it, another...iMac is an all-in-one type deal. Don't worry, mac mini will
    eventually be an awesome media center with Front Row...because I want one!! :)

14. abc123 macrumors 6502

i think that now the demand is in for front row on other macs apple might step up and deliver. how they will go about it? who knows?

if there was something like an eye tv menu in front row and front row was released as a part of the next ilife (yes i know i'm dreaming) then i wouldn't hesitate to pick up a copy. hell, i'd probably even buy a mac mini and set it up as my little digital hub.
    actually anything cool and useful that would give me a reason to update ilife would be more than welcome. i just can't warrant the cash when there are on very minor improvements.

i do believe that there are people in apple headquarters right now who are brainstorming a way to make front row work well on all macs. if the company just let this slide by then that is a huge mistake on their part. the hacked copies have been distributed too widely now for apple to contain, so their only option is it refine it and release a better and more functional version themselves that will make some cash.
    i'm really looking forward to apple speaking up about the front row incident because how they react will tell a lot about what they think about their customers.

also, it seems ridiculous to me that people are suggesting that the imac remote should be bluetooth. what would be be purpose of using bluetooth over IR? it isn't like the remote is transferring large chunks of data? using bluetooth would only mean that you'd have to change your batteries much more often and the whole thing would cost more.

15. Aliquis macrumors regular

Aliquis

IR? I keep seeing IR as the solution for the remote. K, I agree that IR is better battery-wise. But why IR?

I suggest RF. Much better range and battery is still very very good. Just look at Grifffin's AirClick. It's RF, battery life is awesome, and the range is unbeatable. Works so well.

So yeah. RF seems the best solution. Goes through walls, etc.