Proof (movie)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Oh boy! A movie about math!

Proof, opening tomorrow. Gwyneth Paltrow, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anthony Hopkins, and Hope Davis in a story about the daughter of a brilliant but mentally disturbed math professor.

I assume it is mostly about eigenvalues, Riemann sums, triangular numbers, and magic squares, with a little bit of story about the human characters tossed in for good measure. Sounds great to me!

I wonder if I should wait for reviews or just head out to see it?

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Have you watched the movie Pi? Very mathy, very crazy, sounds like you'd like it

**EDIT**
    apparently MR doesn't like the Pi symbol

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This sounds right up your alley Doctor Q - let us know how it is! :D

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sounds familiar... In a Hollywood film, you cannot be brilliant without being mentally disturbed.

Pi: Rented and ripped to the Mac, waiting for a rainy day which shouldn't be a long wait in London.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You had a perfectly wet opportunity yesterday....

Except that you just know that you'll go and see it and all the formulae will be nonsense but look sufficiently complex on the blackboard. They'll gloss over lots of details so that the non-maths audience won't go to sleep and get just enough wrong to upset you...

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ahhh... but I was mucking around here and watching the occasional episodes of The Prisoner. I think it was a metaphorical rainy day I was referring to.

BTW: Fingers and toes crossed -- all the best. I'll be sending good vibes your way at the time! ;)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And in the riveting climax, two math professors duke it out on the blackboard......to the death!! :eek:

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Who will chuck the chalk and use their fingernails instead?! :eek:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sure it does, you just need to know how to type it :)

π π π π π :D

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Since those look like the letter 'n', I'll blow one up (and yet it still looks only somewhat like pi....):
    π

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For those playing at home, it's done with the HTML code "π" in your post - but, if you preview, copy your post text first, because the act of previewing the post will remove the HTML code from the text box, meaning you'll have to re-type it (it'll look right, but when you post, all the codes will come up as '?' characters).

12. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Yeah I did that at first 'option p', looked fine in the reply to thread window but when I posted it they were all replaced with '?'s. ?????????

**EDIT**
    See what happened to your quote and all those ? were actually pi s. Here's a screen shot to go with it

???? ??? ??? ????

Attached Files:

13. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I saw the Broadway play that this movie is based on, and it's a great story. With that cast, I'm sure the movie will be fantastic.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Some say Math is the universal language, but I beg to differ.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Don't beg to differ.

Just differ.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Proof" is based on a wonderful stage play of the same name -- which is by no means entirely about math. It's really about the relationship between a math professor (once brilliant, now disturbed), his daughters and a grad student. The title itself refers to far more than mathematics. And the story has a great twist at the end. But I won't give away too much.

The play is terrific, and it looks like they've cast the movie well. So it should be a good one!

17. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Oh I definitly want to see this movie and not because it has anything to do with math....I have missed Gwenth lately since she had her baby she has been laying low. AND JAKE is too hot. One o fmy favorite movies of all time is October Sky starring him! I will definitely go see this movie! :)

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I just checked the credits on the trailer and the screenplay was co-written by David Auburn, the original playwright. This is always a good sign that the play hasn't been butchered. Also, it's been directed by John Madden. I like his work a lot.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Me too. Especially on Monday Night Football! ;)
    (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

20. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Oh no! Don't they hire consultants to make sure these details are correct? And don't they hire "continuity" people whose job it is to make sure that all functions are continuous?

We rented the whole series and watched them, one per week, finishing last month. Some were really odd, but that's part of why I liked them. Be seeing you.

With Gary Larson taking screenplay credits. (OK, this one isn't about math professors, but it's the closest I could find quickly.)

Attached Files:

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Try to resist next time. Please try! :D

(FWIW, I was thinking of the "Inspector Morse" series and of course "Shakespeare in Love".)

22. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

What a great movie, but lots of people I recommended it to were saying "what?".
    If you like that check out Aronovskys follow up - "Requiem For A Dream", better but depressing as h***.
    It's not released here until 30th December though :(

23. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

My aunt used to do continuity on films - a lot of the old Bond films are her. This seems to be a job for you, Dr Q.

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good grief. You should be ashamed of yourself. ;)

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, but I'm a massive Lynch fan -- I'm inoculated against a certain level of non-linear weirdness. :)