Proof new Aiport Updates!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Emrtr4, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

I went to my local computer retailer, the Greenwich Supercomputer center.

Anyway, I was there to pick up my Powerbook after it got its logic board replaced (covered by Applecare, for once, the second ram slot was not working).

I was talking to the store manager about the new Apple products, and he mentioned something very interesting to me. "We ordered new Airport base stations and Express's about a month ago, August 18th was the order date. They have not shipped, not one of them. Same thing happened with the our last Mac-Mini and iMac order. I can safely say that there will be someting new with the aiports tomorrow."

He is not in the loop from Apple, but as a retailer it is usually easy to tell when new products are coming out. This was the final piece of evidence I needed in my mind that the updates are coming.

Yell at me for being a noob and making this up or something, but its what I have heard.

2. vega07 macrumors 65816

interesting....

did he mention anything about MBPs or MBs?

but I don't think a computer retailer can get information about upcoming release beforehand.

3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

If he was on the money with the imac and mini, there's a good chance the same thing is happening with the airport.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One loosely related thing... At the expo, there were reports about what appeared to be an 802.11a signal (? -- it was at 5.8GHz I think) that the MBPs could see but the PBs could not. And then I never heard anything about this again. It would be weird for Apple to come out now with 802.11a frequencies when it's such an outdated technology. But then I kind of wish I had it in my apartment with all the interference....

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Actually from my days of working retail we would not get direct confirmation of new producs but we would get price drop updates as well as status of product updates(current, introductory, discontiued, etc)We were able to deduce with decent accurcacy what we would see. These updates and notices generally would generally happen anyime from 2 weeks in advance to as little as 12hours.

6. vega07 macrumors 65816

interesting!

does anyone here who work in retail have any information on the MBPs/MBs?

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Aye, took notice of that to but it never was mentioned afterwards.