Proof of Apple PDA!?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bep207, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bep207 macrumors 6502

why would apple include. notes, ToDo, Calendar improvements, mail improvements, and the ability to access all of this from any app into OS X leopard?

well the presence of a PDA sure would go well with ToDos, Notes, Tasks etc...

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. p0intblank macrumors 68030

There's not enough demand for PDAs right now... if ever. Therefore, Apple will not come with one anytime soon. If anything, I'll bet these new Mail features will make it into a touchscreen iPod.

4. bep207 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea, a smartphone would be more likely. i couldnt see apple just doing a phone with contacts and a tiny scheduler disguised as a calendar

if apple makes a phone it will have many pda functions

i just dont see why apple would include ToDos if you couldnt remember to do them when you are out doing them (mobile)
    if you need a todo list on your computer, open up a sticky

5. ljump12 macrumors 6502

There wasnt a huge demand for Mp3 players either.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The PDA market has already boomed though. Prior to the iPod the MP3 player market was still struggling to find an identity. I'd wager on a smart phone or a "smart iPod", but not a straight up PDA.

Lethal

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

MP3 players and PDAs are totally different gadgets, in my opinion. Everyone loves music, which is why the iPod is so popular. But PDAs? The average person doesn't need one.

Now a tablet Mac... that's something I would be very interested in. Unfortunately, like PDAs, there is no market for that either.

8. bep207 thread starter macrumors 6502

could apple blend a pda, phone, mp3 player into one

9. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

I don't think an Apple PDA would sell...

unless you really are an Apple freak.

10. wako macrumors 65816

oh... you mean a smart phone? :p

11. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

The PDA market isn't big and wouldn't be very profitable, and proberly not worth the money investing

12. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

13. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Nope. He means my current dream.

14. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Even most above-average people don't need one. What most people seem to need is a phone that syncs to their computer and can display to-do's, calendar, address book, and check email. And probably wouldn't mind a couple GB of music thrown in for good measure.

If the new Leopard features really do point to this type of device, that could mean the the iChat-smart-phone-mobile won't be announced until Macworld 2007 at the earliest (when I'm assuming Steve will unveil Leopard's secret new features).

15. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I never really needed a pda, i had one a long time ago but never really used it. I would much rather have an iPhone with pda stuff in it them a pda.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

In it's current state I completely agree. Most PDAs are lacking in ability since they run a minimal OS (Pocket PC or Palm OS). You cannot run full fledge applications.

If Apple could somehow break that stereotype we may see the re-birth of PDAs again. Concepts like the OQO and such are very interesting and show promise.

17. Timepass macrumors 65816

really none of those things proves anything. I know a lot of people who use cal, to do list and all that stuff in outlook and all they have is a basicly laptop.

Also they could of done it so more phones or pdas could tie into it better because lets face it Apple completely lacks in that area and the PDAs out there just cannt tie in to it.

PocketPC and palm OS devices have no problem working with out look (that what my TX ties into), the iPod works with outlook just fine. Maybe it is just apple playing catch up in that area.

As for the smart phones I really dont like them. They are 2 bulky for my taste to be one of the 3 things I always carry with me (cell phone, wallet, car keys). If I want my pda I carry it with me but I do a lot of stuff where it just to bulky to be worth it. Going to hang out with friends all I really need is my wallet cellphone and car keys. why would I need the extra weight and size of a PDA.

just my though on it. I like having them seprated into 2 devices. now if I started needing my pda more offen than not yeah I would be more inclided to want one but even then I like the ablility to be able to seprated away from electronic world a little and go down to just a cell phone.