Proof you should wear a helmet when cycling (Warning: Graphic surgery photos)

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Aug 31, 2004.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Attached Files:

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Woah.. you might want to give a warning in the thread title :D

3. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

few more.

Attached Files:

4. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

I agree, pretty gross stuff there....

5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

while we're at it..

Motorcycle helmet, riding leathers... i'd post proof, but severe road rash is quite more disturbing.

7. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

oh krimson this is bicycling not motorcycling. heh. but safety is important in each.
    thanks to whoever added the graphic warning, guess I didn't think of that.
    and no, hematoma is definitely not funny.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

well, you could get road rash is you mtn bike, or crash into a curb like I did when I was young.

9. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i worked in er at a hospital on friday and saturday nights and would see this type of stuff

as for motorcycles, it makes sense that anybody wears a helmet...out here in california, making a helmet law does not work since many of the riders get a motorcycle to be free and some to be rebellious

the last thing they want is a "law" to tell them what to do while being "free" and it goes against the image of many a motorcyclist

so where i live, it's not only the hardcore 1%ers and other rogue motorcycle types who shun helmets, but many law abiding motorcycle enthusiasts...common sense should tell people to wear a helmet, not a law which many people will willingly ignore...i suspect some anti helmet types would wear a helmet voluntarily if there wasn't a law to tell them they had to...so in protest, they wear nothing on their heads

people should also not get distracted by kids in the car fighting and by loud car stereos, but we cannot ban kids and car stereos...and believe me, distracted drivers get into accidents which end up in their own gory mishaps which i also saw on those friday and saturday nights at the hospital

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A very true statement. He is a very lucky young man. Thanks for posting the pictures they are very interesting. He's a good poster boy to encourage the use of a helmet.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You should have mentioned that he was wearing an helmet !!!!! He'd probably be dead if he hadn't been wearing one. Scary stuff, though. I'd love to know more about how he fell, looks like he's doing a lot of mountain biking.....

D

13. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

The Docs here in St. Louis at St. Johns do good work. They have a pretty good ER.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The website sated that he was wearing a helmet: "An artery was bleeding inside my cracked skull after a bicycle accident sustained on a group ride. My helmet saved my life." So I didn't think that I needed to repeat the information. It is why, he's be perfect to show the importance of wearing a helmet. He could have fallen as easy by hitting an uneven are or a rock.

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....we have a law here that says cyclists must wear helmets but it does not appear to be enforced much - I still see tons of idiots riding on the roads without a skid-lid....I don't care how much attention you are paying or how experienced you are on a bike - you are only as safe as the worst driver on the road......oh yeah!

16. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

ok so why is everyone so gung-ho on helmet's for bike riding? in the city i can understand, but i've never seen a benefit for one when your just riding in the woods by yourself or something. the only accident i've had was when a car ran a stop sign and cut me off. i swerved at the last minute, but still ran into the car sideways (my bike kept sliding), and the car had far more damage then i did. i just got back on my bike, gave the lady the finger, and took off. regardless a helmet would have done me no good in this situation, and would have actually hindered me since it has a tendency to cut off peripheral vision and would've given me less reaction time.

bicycle helmets are a joke. if a car hits you hard enough to kill you, 5 inches of styrofoam won't save your jelly-like brain from slamming against the inside of your skull and rendering you a vegetable.

i would also like to point out this is an EXTREMELY misleading article. Apprarently he fractured his skull, but he didn't even have a bump on his head! THOSE PICTURES ARE FROM THE SURGERY TO REMOVE THE BLOOD CLOT! nothing like skewing the information to support your views.

This thread's title should be changed to proof that removing blood clots is messy business.

17. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I have ridden nearly 100,00 miles on my rigid frame chopper. I live in SC and there is no law that requires persons over 21 to wear helmets. I wear a helmet by choice. MY CHOICE, not the choice of well meaning legislation. There are many differents viewpoints on this subject, but I firmly believe that those who ride must be allowed to decide. If a state passes a law that requires you to wear a helmet while driving a car, you can bet your @$$ that the first casualty would be blamed on the state's inability to require helmets that are rated safe enough to sustain an impact of gargantuan proportions. My decision to wear a helmet brings me more negative criticism than anything else I've ever done, but if I allow someone else to be responsible for my safety and well being, then I am allowing myself to be pursuaded by public opinion and not my extensive riding experience. I had a crash three years ago and the first thing the ER doc asked me was "were you wearing a helmet?". Is this the most important statistic that people attribute to two wheeled vehicle accidents? Why not ask car crash victims if they were talking on their cell phone, reading a book, or looking at the display on their iPods. Distraction is by far more dangerous to safe operation of any vehicle than any thing else. just my 2 cents...

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If an intracranial haematoma is bleeding into you own head, does that mean that an intercranial haematoma is bleeding into someone elses head?

If so I'm definitely going to wear a helmet all the time so it doesn't happen to me.......... :)

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sorry I couldn't let you go without calling your BS on this one BrianKonarsMac. Do a search for 'bicycle helmet' in PUBMED . You trawl through the 400+ articles and see if you can find one single study where they concluded that wearing a helmet was on no earthy use. Even if you are riding through the woods picking daisies. You had one accident and you were lucky. If anything you should be picking up a helmet.

And don't be rediculous about cutting off your peripheral vision. Unless you have your eyes set back behind you temples.....

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wow.

honesty buddy, this post *amazes* me. are you kidding!? seriously, i hope this was some sort of sarcastic post. i've split one helmet cross country racing and have two others limit the damage i would have done to myself significantly.

you're going to sit here and say that its safer to *not* ride with a helmet? whaaaat? it can only help to have more material between your grey matter and whatever you're crashing in to.

21. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

no guys...... helmets actually hurt you! (sarcasm)

okay, i have been bikin' for a while and ANYTHING bewteen you and your head will help.

22. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I love it when people say:
    "I have this friend... and if he were wearing a seat belt in his big accident.. he would have died! So I never wear a seatbelt... they kill."

...I love it when people try to justify their bad habits.

23. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks for postign this. i like seeing surgery photos for some reason. perhaps i'm sub-consciously preparing myself for the inevitable! :eek:

i'd have to agree... helmets are definitely a good idea, although there's even some times when i don't wear one, but only when i'm not on the roads and not doing anything that would require a helmet.

my helmet has saved me once. i was riding along on my BMX and a lady opened her car door on me. well i went down and the right side of my head smacked the bitumen, quite hard as well, cracked the helmet. i was dizzy when i got up... i would hate to think what would have happened to the right side of my face if i didn't have that helmet on... i probably wouldn't have much of my right ear left.

wear a helmet! if it were up to each one of us whether or not we had accidents, helmets wouldn't be necessary, but accidents are just that, there's nothing you can do about them, and they're many times caused by other people.

24. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

err, bike helmets sit on your head and since I actually use one you can trust me that they in no way impede your vision. It is true that if a car hits you hard enough to kill you then you are screwed helmet or not but is an extreme circumstance. There is a large gap between accidents involving high speed cars and the simplest fall on your head. It only takes a fall from less than two feet to cause a skull fracture. Back in 2001, more than 314,000 children were injured in bicycle crashes and eight out of 10 of the bike fatalities were due to head injuries.
    Food for thought.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that is so true...there are so many bikers, especially in the non patroled rural areas where i live, that go out of their way to not wear a helmet because big brother will give them a ticket if they are caught without one...some of the cops, especially ones who are bored without stuff to do, harrass bikers without helmets...it's just a waste of taxpayer's money

give the biker a choice then he may wear one since there's no reason to go without protesting the dumb law which has made many bikers angry out here in california

if i had a bike, i would wear a full face helmet since i have seen, being in a hospital on staff, people's faces ripped off their skull having only worn a skullcap helmet or no helmet...i wasn't a doc or nurse, thank god, but the poor guy who had to put together the pictures and reports...if they let me, i would post them here and then probably get banned...but rotten.com has similar pictures of what i am talking about...a face is a nice thing to have...please wear a full face helmet