Propellerhead Reason for OsX

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cr2sh, Jul 6, 2002.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

If anyone hasnt seen it yet, the demo for REASON 2.0 is up on download.com
    looks just like the 9x version but with two new devices... all we need now is a multitrack for X...
    -c
    :D

2. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Demo I dont need no stinkin demo!

Demo?, the real deal works much better!

Except that there is NO midi for OSX, so I cant hook up my midi keyboard, yet!

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

whats the "real deal" that you are talking about? link? is it for osx?

4. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

opppssss

sorry, i wasnt more clear..

By the real deal , i meant NOT a demo but the full working version of REASON.

5. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

there is a multitrack recorder available for osx now

bias.inc has released their osx version of deck 3.5 which is a multitrack audio recorder with plugins ideally suited for both audio and video they have been around fora long time making great products for novice-pro musiciansdownload the demo and tell me what you think .

p.s. i want apple to once again overtake intel and amd in clock speedas well as other areas like how many plug ins can i have with my 64 channel multi track recording mixed to 5.1 surround before I run out of dsp power.

6. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: Demo I dont need no stinkin demo!

you mean this software doesnt support a motu midi device thru USB?

Dave, you got a link for bias inc? Sounds pretty good, i've been flirting with buying a new copy of digital performer, but money is kinda thin in my final year of undergraduate study..

7. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

www.bias-inc.com

It looks great, a little slow on my soon to be upgraded 200mhz 8600 running os X10.1.5, my 450 g4 upgrade card is being repaired under warranty. I'm hoping someone with a faster system will give it a try and report back.
    I am a Cubase and Logic user (Mac and AtariST1040) so Decks way of working is a little bit foriegn, having the midi totally seperate from the audio and all
    It appears to let you save your song and load it back in later. I guess this is a trial and not a demo. Now we need Cubase SX, Logic X Titanium, Digital Performer X, Rebith X and OSX drivers for my Yamaha DSPFACTORY, Emagic audiowerk2, and Roland RBUS sound cards, drivers for my opcode midisport 32 usb and opcode studio 3 midi interfaces. I heard some of opcodes engineers now work at apple and i cant afford all new gear however a mwny powermac is in my future if they have dual 1.4's, and then I will be rolling in Music.

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Demo I dont need no stinkin demo!

i've got my MIDI keyboard hooked up right now in OSX and i was just playing the new synth in Reason 2.0 MIDI is built-in to OSX so you don't have to use OMS or anything else. OSX's MIDI is solid and very fast.

9. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Decks 3.5 is a great looking program, if only i could use it! It seems to have no love for my 828firewire device...

10. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Re: Demo I dont need no stinkin demo!

it works just fine. OSX has MIDI bulit-in so just get the drivers for the device if needed and plug-in and play! good riddance OMS!

11. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

to cr2sh
    yea i notice even though i put then asio drivers in the folder it does not reconize my sound cards good thing my 8600 has good quality(not great rca l-r inputs not mention mic headphones and svideo in and out. the sound quality is pretty good any one use all 24 tracks and all 4 effects on all tracks .I wonder if a imac g4700 can handle that

12. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

this sucks

all of the sudden dave, my cube is super jealous of your 8600... wish i could be busting this program out for you guys. i got a 9600 in the basement that i cant get operational, but i fuess thats an entirely different subject for post...

i definately need to pick up somesort of midi-input. i recently bought a roland jp8000 and up to this point never even had interest in midi, but i guess we all come to this point eventually.

13. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

griffins imic $30

my brother uses a imic with his imac for inputting sound in his imac its about $30 and is available on apple website has osx and asio os 9 drivers and is powered by usb has very good sound quality and is 24 bit capable. i'm suprised motu 828 dosent seem to work. this has to be bias fault cause motu makes some of the best hardware/driver combos out there for mac anyway i believe they have an os9 version of Deck 3.5 maybe your 828 will work in that version.
    boy I am jealous of your cube/motu 828 combo that has got to be one of the quietest studio setups around and with 1GHZ g4 upgrades soon to be released. my 8600 isnt loud but i with those to large fans i definately know when its on

14. hughster macrumors newbie

Try a TASCAM US-428 with your MIDI keyboard. It's not cheap, but it gives you 4 2 MIDI INs and 2 MIDI OUTs as well as 4-in, 2-out audio (including SPDIF digital audio) and a whole slew of controls to allow you to twiddle real knobs and sliders in Reason. It works great with Reason 2.0 on Mac OS X (iMac 700 FP), and I am getting a copy of Ableton Live 1.5 to go with this (check out Ableton) for audio.

Also check out MIDI Patchbay and MIDI Monitor to help troubleshoot and reroute MIDI where you need. I'm also evaluating Deck, but the relative lack of MIDI support makes it a no-no, I fear.

In any case, Mac OS X is definitely the way forward for my audio and MIDI (I'm laying a Windows machine to rest because this stuff works so well).

15. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: griffins imic $30

i was reading your post, nice and fine until i stumbled across the line...

i had to read it three times just to make sure it said what i thought it said... i had heard people say that eventually we MIGHT see a 1GHz upgrade, but didnt exactly believe it... is this actually in the works, with sonnet hopefully?
    i'd recently considered selling this cube (anticipation of a g5) but doesnt look as though thatll be panning out till january (hopefully)

anyways, yes my setup right now is quite nice and quite quiet, but im looking for a little more power. i was thinking dual 500 upgrades also, but we'll see what the summer has in stock for me first. i'm going to invest in a presonus digimax soon so that i can run optically in on all 8 tracks. other than the preamps, the 828 has been a great investment.

16. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

powerlogix available this july

i saw 1ghz powerlogix g4 processor available for the cube on www.macsales.com(better known as OWC) when i was shopping for an upgrade to my 8600. the price is really high about $800. i believe and there are no reviews or anything so I would be careful but at least they are making upgrades for apple's best looking desktop

17. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

cube owners rejoice

Wow, at $800 you gotta wonder if you go for that or the duet sonnet card...

18. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

sonnet 1GHZ upgrades-800G4 for 7300-9600

goto xlr8yourmac and you will see sonnet has an 800 g4 upgrade for old pci powermacs no price or reviews and 1GHZ for older g4's no price specs, dual, or cube support noted. i guess we will have to wait till mwny. however any upgrade over $500 is iffy when you can buy a g4800 new for $1300+rebate,emac$1100,imac$1300g4700 fp. if they are at $800 just adding 300-500 more gets you abrand new cpu and by the time they are released you could probably pick up a dual 800-dual 1ghz for just a $1000 more new or refurbished with warranty.
    anyway apple must have some special g4 powermacs coming up
    heres what i want
    Dual 1.6GHZ Powermac G4, 2 GB ddr mem. 512 L2 cache,4 MB L3 cache
    120GB WD 8Meg Buffer HARD DRIVE ATA-133(so we can use drives larger than 137GB in the future
    2 optical drive bay. 1-40X+Cdrw,1 Superdrive
    4 firewire2, 4 USB2, 1 of each in front
    ac3 digital sound in/out, 24bit capable analouge rca inputs and outputs(this could be on a core audio card or firewire based card)
    8x agp 128 MB video card, 4 pci slots one being dual purpose agp/pci
    price points 1599 single 2299 dual 2999 triple 3799 quad
    i guess i,ll keep dreaming

19. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    word of warning

be sure and check the feedback about sonnet upgrades( @xlr8yourmac.com) and their performance with audio...there have been many problems in the past.

a buddy of mine had multiple problems with a sonnet upgrade and just ended up buying a new G4.

the newer tech upgrades were supposed to be more reliable but, alas, they went belly-up...though they may be reopening.

i look forward to using the new X core midi...i like freemidi( and hate oms) but who knows when performer will be X compliant. i'm sure thats the hold-up on the release of DP3.1...until then, i can't operate the synths in reason except from the reason sequencer which is a real drag. :confused:

20. hughster macrumors newbie

Re: word of warning

Not quite true - it is possible to operate them via a 3rd-party box (but not another piece of software on the same machine, as far as I know). ReWire, when it becomes available on a few more products under Mac OS X, may provide some remote control capabilities.

21. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Re: Re: word of warning

perhaps i should clarify....i can run dp3.0 and reason right now..they sync fine, the sound pops up in my audio tracks via rewire and all is peachy but under freemidi i cannot access the synths with my controller. i could do it under oms but oms is just crap...i know reason 2.0 uses the new core midi code written by the oms guy but dp3.1 is not X'able right now( much less shipping...). so it will be awhile before dp users can use a controller to play a reason synth without resorting to oms...btw, the folks at propellorheads say that when dp does catch-up to X, you will be able to see the reason synth sequence track in the dp tracks window...saweeet.