Proper 3D software for Grapgic Designer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

I've been looking at several packages of 3D software and can't decide which one to get. I need it for high quality 3D effects for print (the sort of logo design, etc. but high end) and something with not that steep of a learning curve (I like to design, not to spend too uch time figuring out how it works).

3D Blender and Maya are some that I looked at...first one is free (open source) but documentation is weak and interface is very different from what we Mac users are used too. Maya seems to be able to do a lot, but I haven't had a chance to try its interface and can't tell how steep the learening curve is.

Any ideas, suggestion.

Halcyon

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

i do not like blender for reasons you stated above. I believe there is a trial download available for maya, i havnt gotten it since i know ill "need" it and dont have the money. You might like a program called Zbrush (Demo available, i really like it). If you want something with a very nice interface and get results quickly, though ill get shot for saying this, maybe bryce or Carrara.

3. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

A friend of mine has Carrara (PC not Mac, but there is a version for Mac) and swears by it, but I don't like the final renders I've seen...maybe he just doesn't know the program that well.

Maya has a "non-commercial" version you can download from its site. It seems to be a full feature version of Maya (not the Unlimited version) that can be use for fun, students, personalprojects, etc. anything as long it's non-commercial use.

Thanks.

Halcyon