Proper backup...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TheAnswer, Apr 22, 2003.

1. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I'm installing a new hard drive and repartitioning my main drive (going from 3 parts to 2). I regularly backup my documents...but this is the first time under OS X that I've tried a backup and clean install. Here are my questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming I just have to backup my Users folder to backup all my preferences and other data?

2. If anyone has any real world advice on using the Backup utility that came with .Mac, I'd appreciate it. I use it to backup my documents, but I've never had to actually restore from it (knock-wood).

Thanks in advance.
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    copying directories like this can be tricky, try using CarbonCopyCloner. It makes a perfect duplicate of your files with correct permissions and attributes... if you don't mess with the normal heirarchy, backing up Users would be fine... you might want to back up Applications too, since reinstalling everything can be a pain...

Unfortunately i have not found an adequate automated daily backup for OS X. some come close, but the features just aren't there...

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    the that is given to you thru .Mac is also a great savior. it has helped me do a fresh install and come back like i never left it.