Proper Format for DVD-R from Vista Application

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xsedrinam, Jul 5, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    I'm compiling some 7 short video presentations, ripping and/or importing after converting to QT (some are just PPT Presentations) to Final Cut for a timeline, and burning the final compilations to DVD with a Menu on DVDSP.

One submitted to me today was burned to DVD with Toast on a Windows DVD Maker application bundled with Vista. It's not formatted properly, so my machine can't even see it. Anyone can suggest what I need to tell the person to do to correct the formatting of their submission so I can use it in the compilation? Thanks.
  2. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Mar 29, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Short answer: Tell him to buy a mac!

Seriously, He/She probably burned a data DVD in Toast. I'm not familiar with the PC version, but on the mac version you have to select "Mac & PC Hybrid" or something like that when setting up your list of files to burn. Assuming it's the same in the PC version, he probaly left in on PC only, which I'm betting is the default. Theoretically, your mac should still see it, but who knows what garbage Microsoft may have put together lately.

Hope this helps. If not, there's always the short answer!
  3. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    I'd love to be able to give "the short answer". Unfortunately he, along with a number of colleagues, is "entrenched" in the mindset of Micro$oft. I've even jested they probably have stock in the Company.

Every time I'm asked to help with this, there's always at least "one". And I always get the "is it your Mac?" or, "you sure Macs can play DVDs?". Trying to explain that what he's burned isn't really DVD is futile. I ask, "don't you have a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS file you could just put on a jump drive and give me?". Blank stare.