Proper PowerBook preamp volume

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by alex_ant, Apr 11, 2002.

1. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Hi,

Anyone know what the proper volume level is at which to set the PBG4 when it's connected to a stereo preamplifier? At maximum, I hear crackling. On close to minimum, it's too quiet. :) Right now I have the volume set so that it's one tiny notch under three "sound waves" in the OS X menu bar. Is that "good enough"? Basically I want it as loud as it can be without distorting. Thanks in advance to any helpful posts.

Alex

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Um, can't you just play with the volume and set it just before you hear crackling?

In any case, I don't think you should hear crackling when your speakers are at full volume, unless you have a dodgy speaker setup...

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the distortion comes from too much power to the speakers. I don't think there is going to be any less noise by lowering the volume on the G4. The quality of the music, mp3 vs. cd, the cables connecting the devices would make more of a difference.

What sort of music are you playing?

4. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Well, the distortion occurs when I have my PB's volume cranked to max. At max, the audio output is outputting enough power to drive headphones reasonably loudly, so I assume this is what is causing the distortion. This distortion is audible at pretty much any stereo amp volume above a whisper. So I know your recommendation would be to just turn down the PB volume, but I am wondering what an "ideal" volume would be. Isn't there a standard preamp output level for CD players, tape players, DVD players, etc.? If so, what volume level does that standard correspond to on my TiBook?

Alex