Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Is there some kind of a proper way of disconnecting a PB from a monitor? I usually just unplug it all out and then take it with me. I open up my PB and find its on a black screen as if its still connected to the monitor. I press the Power button making it goto sleep, wake it up again and then Im stuck in a blue screen with no login window. Im then forced to reboot the whole system by holding down the power key.

Is there some special technique that I should be aware of?

stoid

macrumors 601
When you have the 'Book plugged into the monitor, are you using both screens, or is the PowerBook closed so you only have your one main screen?

If you are using it with the PowerBook closed, I would suggest opening it when you unplug the monitor, that way it will adjust back to the built-in screen, then close it to put it to sleep.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
wako said:
Is there some kind of a proper way of disconnecting a PB from a monitor? I usually just unplug it all out and then take it with me. I open up my PB and find its on a black screen as if its still connected to the monitor. I press the Power button making it goto sleep, wake it up again and then Im stuck in a blue screen with no login window. Im then forced to reboot the whole system by holding down the power key.

Is there some special technique that I should be aware of?
I run my PB in clamshell mode, which sounds like what you're doing. If you just unplug the monitor and everything from the PB, the PB won't go to sleep. Pressing the power button may have brought the PB display to life, and the blue screen is just the PB's view of the desktop. Generally, closing the lid, letting it really go to sleep, then waking it up works for me if I happen to mess up.

However, when I disconnect my monitor after being in clamshell mode, I open the PB first, disconnect all the cables, then close it so it falls asleep properly. Works every time.

If you're not running in clamshell mode, then you should be able to just unhook the monitor and go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.