Properly cleaning otterbox defender screen protector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bsbfan, Oct 8, 2012.

1. macrumors member

How do you go about cleaning the Otterbox defender series screen protector that is built in? I was trying to use some electronic stuff I have that if got on my phone wouldn't cause damage but there are still particles of dust on the inside of the screen protector that when phone is on resembles a dead pixel but a quick glimpse reveals its just a particle of dust.

This might sound too stupid of a question to ask, but I was just wanting to know.

2. macrumors 6502a

Tape

3. thread starter macrumors member

smart man, I do that with movies...didn't even think of that.

----------

any other options?

4. macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I usually just blow the dust off with a compressed air can and quick wipe down with a microfiber.

5. macrumors regular

Does anybody else get a rainbow effect with the built-in screen protector? I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of that.

6. macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

That's happening to my wife's. Never happened to me.

7. macrumors regular

Happened to me, I just let it sit unused and it goes away.

8. macrumors G5

Macman45

I had the defender on my 4S...used to wipe the inside of the screen with a soapy sponge and then dry with a microfibre cloth....I gave it to my buddy when I got my 5. It's still fine. I'm not buying another one though...a little over the top for me and my usage.

9. macrumors member

Easiest way to get rid of the rainbow effect is to put a crystal clear screen protector on ur phone. I have one on mine and have not had the rainbow effect ever since.

10. macrumors member

Sal suds

For my wifes iPhone 3gs otterbox defender I just used a few drops of sal suds and a tooth pick to clean out the edges area very careful. It works great from time to time I just use a little bit of the screen cleaner from my phillips tv cleaner.

11. macrumors regular

What screen protector are you using? I have heard some reports that people find the screen not as responsive if they are using another screen protector.

12. thread starter macrumors member

is there a trick to getting the inner shell off? its difficult for me and I just spent the better half of an hour cleaning the screen protector and taking it on and off again when a hair or big piece of dust found its way on...I think I will do more damage to the phone taking it in and out of the case than actually dropping it. :p

13. macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Make sure those very small clips on the corners are undone. There is a good number of those and it's easy to miss one.

14. Galaxys3fan, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors newbie

new otterbox user

I am having trouble taking off my defender case off of my galaxy s3