Proposal to Add Gender Designators

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Huntn, Nov 9, 2011.

1. macrumors G3

Huntn

I'm finding from a social aspect that it would be very beneficial to include the ability to designate your gender along with a very small gender icon that appears by your avatar. I've seen this in other forums and find it very beneficial when conversing with someone you don't know, which is most of the people I converse with online. :D:D
    Thanks for the consideration...

2. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

So long as it was optional, I wouldn't personally object.

3. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

I am playing this silly game in the Community forum, was surrounded by girls and did not even know it. Fortunately I am always politically correct in my comments. :D

4. macrumors 68020

Firestar

Having a gender designator would be beneficial as long as it's optional.
    That game is not silly!

It's completely serious.

5. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

6. macrumors P6

dukebound85

why does it matter what one's gender is?

I feel this would result in the girls getting a ton of pms from dudes

I say the system is fine as it is. This is not facebook

7. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I completely agree.... and please, don't make it like facebook!

8. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

One thing to consider is that there would be no way to know for certain if someone is being truthful. And as dukebound85 mentions, some of our female MacRumormongers may prefer to keep their gender a secret online, so as to avoid unwelcome attention.

9. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Is that where PMS comes from? :eek:

10. macrumors 68020

Firestar

Which is why it would be optional.
    To be correct in grammar (he, she, him, her, etc.), would be the main thing for me.

11. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

Gender matters. Such an icon should be voluntary. This is not an attempt to make this facebook.

I participate in another forum which is probably 50% women, all with their gender icons showing and I don't think being PMed just because you are a girl is an issue.

12. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You could use the singular they.

Care to explain why?

13. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Q: What's the maximum RAM I can put in my MBP?
    A: 8GB. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

Q: Do I have a virus on my Mac?
    A: No. There are none. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

Q: Can I use a new Thunderbolt display with my iBook?
    A: No. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

How does gender matter in any forum outside of Community Discussion or PRSI?

14. Guest

Why does anything under the 'About Me' section matter? Why does 'Signature' matter? Why do 'Albums' matter? Why do 'Friends' matter? Why do 'Visitor Messages' matter?

I'm indifferent to the suggestion. As long as it's optional, as the OP suggested, I see no problem with it.

15. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter to me, unless it includes information which can help in determining if the poster has knowledge or experience that may better qualify them to answer some questions.
    It doesn't matter to me, unless it includes information about the computer they're using, to aid in giving relevant responses.
    They don't matter to me, and I don't recall ever seeing any profile with information there.
    They don't matter to me, except the fact that they assist in identifying posts in Forum Spy by those whose posts I have an interest in tracking.
    They don't matter to me at all.

16. macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Would you require that people specify their correct gender? If so, how would you enforce that?

17. Guest

Alaerian

Demi-God.
    Demi-Goddess.

We already have enough gender designations. I don't want a gigantic pink neon sign under my avatar that proclaims the equivalent of "THIS IS A GIRL POSTING RIGHT HERE. RIGHT HERE, A GIRL. RIGHT HERE. HERE."

I see no reason why gender matters on this forum at all. This isn't match.com. Present the same thing to everyone, regardless of their genitalia.

18. macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

So far I haven't noticed anyone's using the third (and sexless) designation of "Contributor".

19. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

The above says it for me. If someone wants to refer to a poster, call them "poster", or if absolutely necessary "s/he" or "she/he".

I feel that gender is irrelevant, unless the poster wishes to reveal their gender. Just as affectional preference is irrelevant, unless the poster wishes to reveal it. Or, in Lee's case, wear a signboard and walk around Times Square. :D;):p

20. macrumors 68030

Tinmania

I don't see what the big deal is. No one is trying to make it into Facebook. The idea is preposterous.

And I have seen people, and have been myself, jumped on because they referred to, say, "StormDoctor" as a "he" and were wrong. I don't think "he/she," "they", "contributor" (really?) are as good and look too generic or PC to me.

People have already said optional, not mandatory. Why are people complaining about that? Don't like it? Don't use it.

Michael

21. macrumors 68030

srf4real

Doesn't matter to me either way. When I'm wondering who I may be dealing with in the forums I just play the right MacRumors card, and it all gets sorted out quickly.:)

Attached Files:

22. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the internet has enough "Ashley Madison"

I think the Demi/Demi Goddess is subtle and works .... this is a Mac forum where gender does not factor much. :apple:

23. Guest

This appears to be the most over looked portion of the OP.

24. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Two have posted in this thread so far. There are also contributors who elect not to use any of those designations, preferring to keep their regular title.

25. Huntn, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

In a subtle way it alters how I respond to people. Picture yourself at a party with 100% guys or 100% gals. Would it change how you act in any way? (I'm not referring to seeking romance.) ;)

I'd like to emphasis this is just a suggestion. If the MR Gods decline, that's ok too. :)