Proposal to eliminate "downvoting" of posts

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by b24pgg, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b24pgg, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

macrumors 65816

Based on my observations, people primarily do not downvote based on the quality of a post; they downvote based on whether they personally agree or disagree with the post content. I've seen well reasoned, thoughtful posts be downvoted into oblivion just because they expressed negative opinions about an Apple product/feature.

Sometimes, new posters get downvoted simply for the fact that they're new:
    That seems totally wrong to me. MacRumors isn't an old boys club that should frown upon new members.

I think the downvoting option should be removed from posts, but the upvoting option should remain. That way it leads to less hostility and negativity, and truly bad posts/posts that break the rules can be reported using the "Report Post" option.

Just my two cents.

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read both links. They're not just discussing hiding them. The point is, it's been discussed ad nauseam.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

I did. The second thread is a perfect example of what I'm referring to. The OP couldn't have been more articulate and his post has a rating of -52.

That just seems totally wrong to me.

6. macrumors Core

this is the whole reason there wasn't a voting system in place here for so long. i still think that it is not needed and the continued use of it is rather pointless.

imo.

7. macrumors Core

miles01110

Ignore it. The only place it matters is on the front page, where the comments are ordered according to the highest-voted responses. In the forums it's as unnoticeable as it can be.

8. macrumors 603

Believing the vote-count has any significance is akin to hearing voices in white noise.

It can be fun. Or not. I will up-vote or down-vote for many different reasons. Humor is often one of them, and sometimes a down-vote is the most humorous to me.

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly. Since it has no significance, let's get rid of it.

10. macrumors regular

Yeah... I've been using the forum for 3 months and I didn't even know they were there until last week. No one cares...

11. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

This is a fresh topic with many novel arguments.

12. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Please link to specific examples of posts you think were improperly downvoted... excluding any examples in discussions about voting -- as those votes are artificially affected by the discussion.

arn

13. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

I think a definition of "improperly downvoted" would have to be created before specific examples could be cited. As I understand it now, it is merely a feature with no prescribed rules for use. I could be wrong though; you would certainly know better than I. :D

I just don't understand why people get so upset over it in the first place.....

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

1, 2

15. macrumors P6

MacDawg

I just looked at the posts and both are yours and both are -1 on the downvote

Is this really a concern?
    I fail to see this as abuse or even improper use of the system personally

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

They are just examples brah, it happens in other threads too but I just knew these two off the top of my head since they were my posts

17. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

How is it inappropriate?

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

Downvotes are not constructive. Why doesn't Google+ have a "-1" button? Why doesn't Facebook have a "Dislike" option?

I wrote a tutorial about how to unlock a Verizon iPhone, and it was downvoted. Why? I can't answer that, but I do know that it makes no sense to me, and doesn't make me feel particularly interested in being helpful like that in the future on this forum because downvotes indicate to me that the post wasn't appreciated.

I think the upvote button by itself makes much more sense. If a post is truly bad or wrong in some way, it can still be reported.

19. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Doesn't mean it is inappropriate. It would be even more useless to provide only an upvote button.

20. thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not sure I understand your question then. Maybe it would make more sense for you to explain how a downvote of that post was appropriate.

21. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

You would have to ask the person (or people) who did it; I'm not sure why your posts were down voted.

Is the only reason you want it to go away because you're hurt by the thought of someone down voting your post without an explanation?

22. thread starter macrumors 65816

-2 and -3 now.

----------

I explained my reason in the first post.

23. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Then hide the votes......

For one who says that this system has no significance, you sure are worried about it

24. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

There is no way to implement the system you want. It'd be best to hide it and continue on with your day.

25. b24pgg, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011

thread starter macrumors 65816

That's not correct. This vBulletin forum uses just a "like" button for posts:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.