Proposed Iraqi 'Hydrocarbon Law' Will Require Prolonged U.S. Occupation, Say Greens

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nateDEEZY, Mar 27, 2007.

1. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA

I thought it was a bit interesting to read, and I kind of have to agree. I really do think if that law passes it will force Americans to have to stay in Iraq even longer. What do you think?
  2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    Yep, the US will have no choice but to protect US business interests. The problem is though, what happpens when a future Iraqi government decides to change the law and kicks the Americans out again? Another invasion to protect the Iraqis from themselves?
  3. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you look at the History books, the Americans and British are well trained at these situations. You see there are multiple options on the table. There is the good old, secret bloody coup. The slightly less secret bloodless coup (usually a personal favorite, I dont like blood). There is direct intervention. Then there is Sanctions. There is arm twisting. There is paying off officials. I dont think America has ever not gotten away with reinstating their contracts. Ohhh... except in the case of the Iranian Revolution. But that was a sour note in an otherwise beautiful history of the CIA.