Pros/Cons of 15" al powerbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Apr 22, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I have decided to buy the 15" powerbook- either the refurbished 1ghz al or the new 1.33ghz al. Before I buy i would just like to hear if there are any problems at all with them that are common. I am selling my dell and getting a mac.
    "Once you go Mac you'll never go back" ~a qoute by me
    (unless your biz makes you lol)

2. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Mar 7, 2004
    OK, USA
    OT: Refurb. 1ghz 15" PB is 1599. If you're a student, then the 1.33ghz 15" PB is 1799. The new one includes AE card ($100 value), so you're technically purchasing a ".33"ghz for $100 (assuming that you would buy an AE card for a refurb. model)....that and you also get the new computer smell. Ooooh....
  3. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Unless we hear otherwise about these Rev C powerbooks, then most of the known 15" issues are long gone. The dreaded whitespot issue, for example, was cleared up a few months ago and has not, to my knowledge, returned. Sometimes there's still complaints of bad latches or warps or dead pixels, but even those problems seem to have diminished significantly.

At this point, Powerbooks, refurbished or new, are pretty darn solid and reliable. There's obviously no guarantee--in any batch there might be a lemon, but odds are pretty darn good you'll have no problems at all.
  4. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Don't forget that the new Pb has a radeon 9700 mobililty, versus the 9600 in the old 15". That's a 30% increase in 3D speed. Also, there could be differences in memory and hd size.
  5. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Is the new computer smell like leather or cloth?-- just kidding

When you buy refurbished computers from apple say a powerbook would you get the dvi to vga adapter and the s-video to composite adapter? At the website it just says ....

(1) Macintosh PowerBook G4 personal computer and Battery (Installed)
    (1) Power Cord
    (1) Macintosh PowerBook AC Adapter
    (1) Modem Cable
    (1) Manual:
    Getting Started
    (1) CD-ROM Discs:
    Install/Restore 10.2.7
    (1) 1 Year Warranty Card
    (1 )OSX 10.3 "Panther" Update CD
    (1) iLife Update CD

Also what is a Panther Update CD? At the website it has O/S 10.2.7 Jaguar installed