Prostate Cancer Research and Advocacy Lag

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Mar 27, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I thought that I would pass this along as a public service announcement. To be knowledgeable, will protect your future.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Drinking plenty of water and regular exercise and leafy green diets are the surest bets of beating prostate cancer. Oh yeah, no pork products.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Drink water, urinate, and masturbate often.

*high fives all around*

My PhD is related to prostate brachytherapy, so I wouldn't say that treatment robs them of their prostate. Many people get it treated without having a prostatectomy. ;)

And since very few men who get prostate cancer actually die from it, I can understand why it isn't seen as urgent, while breast cancer is more urgent to treat.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

check, check, ehh check

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

is Prostate Cancer Hereditary? (think i heard so)

i know my father had it and needed to have his prostate removed as a result, but then again i am much healthier than he ever was and i plan on remaining so to the best of my ability

also when should one go and get tested for prostate cancer? (age?)

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i'm 20 now ...

when i was about 16 or 17 i had these incredible pains through my kidney, gentle and stomach area.

after several examinations i heard the words -- it could be CANCER -- either testicular or prostate

the next 7 months were among the most unpleasant

physical examinations (anyone over 40, YA THOSE KIND)
    ultra sounds
    and finally a CT scan (this was the hardest because i had to wait so long for it)

all tests came up negative, and the pains remained a mystery (i have one every few months -- seems to happen in times of high stress and when i don't get exercize (i think it's muscle tension)

--- i remember NOT being scared, just wanting to know what it is

i think about it now and realize just how HUGE of a deal it is

all Cancers are important -- so i donate when i can

i have a lot of important women/girls in my life, so i often think about breast cancer -- but, my father is such an important person in my life as well ... death due to old age, or even accidental <-- i would think he had a good life, and although would be incredibly sad to loose him, i would honor him for all that he's done --- BUT, to think of him suffering from such a decease sends a chill through my spine.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm 24. :)

Its partly hereditary. There's no direct evidence, but all you have to do is look at the stats and see that men who have fathers, uncles, grandfathers, etc, who had prostate cancer have a much higher risk of getting it themselves.

Japanese people (who live in Japan) have the lowest risk due to their diet, but I think Asian people generally have a lower risk than other races. High fat diets are bad. Vitamin A from dark green and/or red veggies are good (not Vitamin A from meats). Vitamin E and Selenium are good.

Black people have the highest chance of getting it because they have a higher level of testosterone than white men, who have a higher level of testosterone than asian men, so its hormonal as well. Scandinavians also have a high chance of getting prostate cancer (and breast cancer for women).

So again, drink around 6 cups of water, the best thing you can do for yourself) each day, masturbate (seriously), and eat better. That's really all you can do. And don't tell me that 6 cups isn't good enough, because you get water from other sources to make it 2 litres. Don't drink too much water, either. You dilute the good stuff in your blood. ;)

Get tested starting from when you're 50, or 45 if you have a family history. The sorta preliminary test they give you is called a PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test, where they test for PSA levels in your blood. They may do other tests, but that's the one that will give them an indication as to whether they need to do anymore testing.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thanks for that info Abstract i have already just about eliminated all soda from my diet, execpt the occasional Sierra Mist or Ginger Ale, but other than that im all water and juice drinking with some Tea here and there

once the weather warms up here i plan on working out more which will help me adjust my diet into a state of healthiness from this college life crap i lead now, although i try my best

and i dont think i have to stoop to masterbaiting just yet, you know some of us do have girlfriends and significan others :p ;)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you don't wank at all?

The reason it works is because using the "fluids" from your prostate (or whatever you want to call it) helps clear carcinogens from the pipes. So feel free to masturbate, or at least splooge once a day, with or without the help of your better half. I believe masturbation's greatest effect happens when you're younger. Later on in life, it may be too late to have any real effect!!! :eek:

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think i get a healthy dose of lovin :D

but i will remember this just in case there is a long separation between us two and i could use some relief

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Masturbate too often and you'll go blind. Mothers know best.

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

What is the success rate with this treatment? Does impotence or loss of urinary control occur?