Protecting file/folder with password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biohazard6969, Mar 10, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

is there any way to protect a file or a folder with its own unique password that would be requested upon opening?

2. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

i know you can make a password protected disk image but that kinda stinks cuz it has to be a set size, i'm very interested in this as well if there was a way to password protect a folder or even a disk image but i would like the size to automatically change...

3. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

ive never used it so i dont know how well (or efficiently) this works but i think if you make it a sparse disk image it will only be as big as the stuff in it. like if you make a hundred meg one it and put a word doc in it it will still only be a few kb.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it's an Office document then there's a preference you can change from the save dialogue box. :)

Agreed, the disk image way is just far too complicated for my liking. :(

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

there is a program called cypher that you can get from versiontracker that will allow you to password individual files, but not folders.

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Natively within OS X, I don't know of anything. You can create an archive and password protect it. You can always use PGP to encrypt it, depending on your needs. Given your rather sparse definition of your requirements, it's a difficult question to answer. Now, begin after me: All problem definitions start with a statement of the requirements; if you can't state a definition of your requirements, I can't provide you with a solution set. None of us has all day to ask you 60 questions trying to understand your problem, well at least I don't.

7. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok this works, i'm thinkin of how to protect files on my computer like private folders :) because at school, some people often use my computer, and theres no point in different users, and my HD is basically full, but like i dont' need people rummaging through my stuff.....and how doo you do it with liek a Word document cause i was thinking something like a diary but not with those crappy programs

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Codex is a good encryption tool. It does folders, and it requires a password. Not too expensive, and I've used it for a while without any problems.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I respectfully disagree...This is exactly the point of creating different logins. You can then control access to your files simply by setting the appropriate permissions on those files.

As far as using MS Office to password protect documents, do remember that this is easily hackable. TTFN