protecting the display on new iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by switcher22, Nov 27, 2003.

1. switcher22 macrumors newbie

I've seen people with older Ti Books put things (felt, cardstock) between the display and the keyboard when they are closing the machine to protect the screen.

I just got a new iBook and was wondering if I should do anything to protect the display from the keyboard or touchpad? Has this been a problem in the iBook line in the past?

Thanks in advance.

2. huntsman macrumors member

I use the sheet of foam that came with iBook G4's packaging, placed between the screen and keyboard. It's lightweight and the right size, but not very tear-resistant, so if you cart your iBook around very often (I don't) it's probably not durable enough.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It happens on the ibooks too. You get smudges from the keys on the screen. I've used a thin lint free cloth or similar...

4. iAdam macrumors member

I also have a new iBook G4. I odered one of those iSkin keyboard protectors. I think that should also protect the screen aswell as prevent things from getting under the keyboard.

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I also use the original packing-sheet-thing that came with it, to cover the screen. It's not tear-resistant, but I toss my iBook in my bag everyday and so far haven't had any problems. :)

On a side note, is there a way to clean the keyboard marks off the screen WITHOUT having to buy a seperate cleaning sollution? Anyone have a home remedy?

6. jtown macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, do y'all sit on your ibooks or something? I'm looking at mine (12" 800Mhz from july of this year) and the screen is slightly recessed. With the cover closed, I can slide a folded piece of paper in there with almost no friction. The only place there's the slightest bit of contact is between the edges of the outer keys and the bezel that surrounds the screen. The screen itself is a goot 16th of an inch away from the keys. In order to get the display to make contact with the keyboard, I'd have to press pretty hard on the center of the screen to get it to flex far enough to touch the keys.

7. iAdam macrumors member

I think the time mine is most prone to screen damage is when my book bag is very full and it has alot of pressure on it, that seems to do the most.

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I got one of those Radtech cloths from... Radtech... really good material and you can wash them.

If not them, buy some cheap packet of swiffers.

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Not the lemon ones ;)

10. rixter55 macrumors newbie

iBook screen protection

Check this out!

http://www.acmemade.com/powerbook.html

I just ordered one. Looks pretty cool, is washable and can be used to clean the screen.

This should keep any oils from your hands that might have been left on the keyboard off your screen. It will also help protect the top of the computer from scratches.