Protecting the Presidential Seal. No Joke.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 25, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

a tax break for satirists. nice. i qualify!

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny that The Onion would argue that there is no way any of their readers would mistake their reporting for the truth when China actually thought we were moving the capital out of DC because of an Onion report!

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i think that it'sa legit complaint... at least make the seal look a little phony...

it's more humerous because it certainly seems like bush's team could spend the man hour fighting this on something more productive, but i don't fault them for it.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think the WH should just let this slide. It's not like The Onion is actually trying to pass off their news as official WH output.

There's an old saying that says you should avoid pissing off people who buy their ink by the barrel. Updated I suppose that means you shouldn't piss off those who buy their bandwidth by the hundreds-of-gigabytes-per-month.

I mean really, it's a satirical website -- and one of the best. The WH can't possibly come out of a battle with The Onion looking good. Sure they may win in court, but you can win the battle and still lose the war. A phone call to the editors might have been a better tactic if they really are concerned about diluting the brand so to speak.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh. Had a similar experience a month or two ago, though it wasn't the government who stopped me from using a seal.

I'd created a product with a satirical design. It had the official FEMA seal, with these words underneath: "FEMA...we get around to it eventually". Well, the site owner rejected the design because of the seal. Guess they were afraid of...well, what happened to The Onion. ;)

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They would, if they weren't obsessed with symbolism and images.

8. katchow macrumors 6502

more fodder for the onion mill. can't wait to see a re-designed logo :p

9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I really do wish the government would find something more productive to do with our tax dollars than go after THE ONION.