Protection Plan Question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Guitarst81, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Guitarst81 macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2005
    I didn't know where to post this question, but I thought that this would be a suitable place. I recently bought a 20" iMac G5 (which I absolutely love by the way), and I also purchased the protection plan along with it as well. Say something happens with my mac, or the screen gets messed up, or something, in say 2 years or so. Will they try and fix it, replace the screen (if that's the case), or just simply give me the new iMac that is available at that time (a G6 or whatever they come out with)? If anyone knows, please respond. Thanks for your time.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    It's a 3yr warranty (2 yr extension) -- not a "protection plan".

If you break it in 2 years hoping for an upgrade, Apple would probably charge you quite a bit to fix it.

If it breaks in 2 years.

It'll probably be repaired, most everything on the new iMac G5 is relatively easy to replace.

If they run out of parts, they may switch you to a "newer" refurbished machine or upgraded motherboard -- all depends on the supply of parts in two years.

Of course they may make you wait a long time to get it repaired if they run out of parts -- which happens now on some current machines.
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    The really important thing to keep in mind is that Apple's AppleCare does NOT cover accidental damage nor does it cover user-inflicted damage, no wear 'n tear: just manufacturer's defects. <-- Even that takes some time to prove (in past incidences; ie. iBook G3 logic board issues, Rev. A iMac G5s, etc.).
  4. Eluon macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Yes and NO

Apple will weigh their options. If it costs more for them to fix the machine, then they will hand you a model equivelant to the one your purchased.

For instance, when I was a senior in HS we purchased a 700mhz G3 iBook with 128mb ram, 20 gig HD and a combo drive. We had a lot of issues with it and a year and a half later, Apple had to replace my system with a new system.

They replaced it with the current middle line iBook. So, I got an iBook G4 1ghz, 256mb ram, 30 gig hard drive, and a combo drive. It was brand new. Apple figured it was cheaper for them to give me the new iBook than to keep fixing my lemon!

Best of luck to you and your new iMac. I just bought one too and I am in love!
  5. Guitarst81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2005
    Ah alright, thank you so much for all of your feedback. It was very helpful and now I know the answer to my question. I don't plan on intentionally damaging my machine or anything, I wouldn't try and ruin it for anything... but it all makes sense - especially how if it costs Apple more to fix it, then they would just give you a new machine in return. Again, thanks for your responses! :D
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Was it Apple's AppleCare plan you bought, or a third party protection plan?

In vitrually all cases, your machine will be repaired, not replaced, even if that repair takes weeks to complete. There are no secret "windfalls" or ways to get a new model machine for nothing.

Bottom line: Read the terms and conditions of your protection plan...
  7. Guitarst81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2005
    Sorry bout that, yeah it's Apple's AppleCare.