Protective covers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vampyrekei, May 26, 2006.

1. vampyrekei macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I was looking around Google trying to find the info I need and didn't, but I saw this place and decided to stop by to see if someone can help me.

Ok, here's the deal. I got an iBook G4. My boyfriend and I bought it in December and we love it. I'm only having one issue with it....

Where our hands rest on either side of the touch pad, it's becoming dirty from the oils in our skin. Is there a way to clean that off back to white, or close enough back to white?

Also, I know that where's like plastic covers you can get for the keyboard to help it it clean and whatnot, but I was wondering it there's something like that for where the hands rest as well? And if so, where would I go to get something like that becuase I can't seem to find anything like that by using Google.

Any help would be awesome!

You can either post here or e-mail me at:

vampyrekei@aim.com

Thank you! ^_^

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It works miracles-- just barely dampen it (it's like a white sponge) and wipe the palm rest areas; watch out for the keys and trackpad though-- some people have reported not so great results there.
    iSkins are popular, this is a link to their page, I'm not sure, but google iSkin and you could find other retailers as well.

3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

4. vampyrekei thread starter macrumors newbie

I do, but my skin is the type that is very dry, so I need lotion on it other wise my hands won't do anything.

devilot: Thank you, I'll pick some of those up and try them next time I get to the store! ^_^v

5. iWaugh macrumors newbie

I am planning to get iSkin for my MBP - how well does it withstand all this heat from the laptop ?

Also take a look at http://www.shaggymac.com

Thanks

6. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Has anyone tried, or know of anyone who has tried, any protectants on the plastics to minimize dirt/oil absorption (or if apple warns against such applications)? I've used "303 Protectant" extensively on plastics, vinyl and rubber wherever UV degradation could be a problem (UV not a real problem w/ laptops, but would also fight oil/dirt). Also automotive cleaners (scratch removers) or acrylic tub/ shower treatments might hold some promise.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I used my iSkin w/out any problems on my PowerBookG4 and now my iBookG4. If you go to their site and poke around, I think it mentions somewhere that it does NOT inhibit the heat "releasing" capabilities of the keyboard area. :shrug:

I love my iSkin. Keeps crud from falling in between the keys, keeps my oils off, keeps the letters from rubbing off, and it quiets my typing.

8. joebells macrumors 6502

The iskin doesn't protect the area that the poster is asking about though I will be getting a macbook soon I believe and was wondering about something similar myself. Maybe something kind of like http://www.graphiccling.com/ just something thin that could go over that area where your wrists rest. Maybe even a skin for the whole grey area on the macbook white. Thats the only part I really don't like on the white macbook is that grey inside area. A little cling or somethign similar would be perfect.

I don't know that I would want a whole macbook cling but that would be a nice way to keep it from getting scratched. Or maybe a cling that went a little past the edge of the trackpad and over the front edge of the macbook to soften up the edge a little bit. I've used laptops with a hard edge like the macbook seems to have and it was really painful when I had the laptop in certain positions. Its one of the things making me think twice about the macook.

9. dlastmango macrumors 6502

Not Available yet...BUT

I know they arent in production yet but Im sure they are working on it. Check out www.shieldzone.com. the make a clear coating for ipods, macbook pros and other devices. I emaild them to see if they are making anything for the macbooks yet and they just responded saying the fastest way to get one for the macbook is to send it in and they will custom make one for you. I decided to wait till they are mass produced.
    The main thing is they make a clear cover for the top and bottom of apple laptops as well as the plam rest area. Maybe even for the track pad too.
    I know as soon as these are available I will be getting my whole Macbook covered. I love the white but I really dread the palm rest area getting that yellowish discolor on the keys...

10. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

The iSkin protector is great, and since it is an iBook you are looking to protect, you should be good to go. For MacBook Pro users, and Aluminum PB users for that matter...the left and right sides of their protector do not sit flush, even though the site says otherwise...so beware. I emailed them and they said they are going to address that slight modification in the near future.

11. joebells macrumors 6502

This is not meant to be rude but are most of you even reading the post? The iSkin protector isn't doing what the poster asked for from what I can tell. The poster wants a protector for where the hands rest as well not a keyboard protector only. Poster says they know about protectors for the keyboard but wants something to protect the are where the hands rest.

12. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

ah, I guess I was just posting for the other cats that had brought up iSkin...for the wrists...looks like the http://shieldzone.com/ product, while expensive, is a safe bet :eek: looking to buy it myself.

13. joebells macrumors 6502

Yeah thats freaking expensive holy crap. 25 would be the max I would pay for a whole macbook clear protector. But thats just me. A protector of a similar nature but with a patern or solid color of some sort might be kind of cool or it might be really cheesy.

14. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

www.marware.com I have been looking at them for a long time and they look like high quality.

15. dlastmango macrumors 6502

Well woth it.

some might consider the Shield Zone product expensive but now that i have it on my 60GB video iPod and 4Gb Nano I can tell anyone ITS WELL WORTH THE $$$. the skin doesnt scratch at all. and should it ever they will replace it for free. I spend alot of $$ on apple gear. I have no problem spending $20 to protect my ipod or $65 to protect my MacBook. If its applied properly you can barely tell it on. I have so many people that think Im crazy for not getting sme kind case for the 60Gb video. I keep it in my pocket with keys,coins,pocket knive...
    I consider the company similar to Apple. a bit expensive but well worth it.

Chris

PS. man I love this Macbook too. :)