Protest Warrior - what is the point?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wowser, Oct 13, 2004.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I am English, so forgive me if I am a little late finding out about Protest Warrior. The Right is the dominant paradigm in the US - the government are currently a far-right administration, networks like Fox News are heavily slanted towards the Right. Often the only way the Left can voice itself is through protesting, weblogs and such like. My point is why does the Right need to adopt these tactics? It is laughable for sites like Protest Warrior to claim that they have somehow become marginalized, and that the only way to get their points accross is to disrupt anti-war marches and so forth. I am all for free speech, but when their ideology mirrors the government's - why bother?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Actually, Fox is one of the few sources of Right sided media. Most other major networks and newspapers are to the Left.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because of the feminazi, tree-hugging, gay-loving, Hollywood, liberal media elite?

All of them, girly-men...

(I'm being deeply sarcastic, here btw)

4. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

haha!

I think most major US news networks are actually pretty centrally centred (if that makes sense) Fox makes a big jump to the right, whilst ABC and CBS make only a very slight edging towards the left.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the political leanings of US media outlets has been discussed here ad nauseum. the only thing we learn is: no one changes their mind.

here's a tidbit from today:

ABC news w/ peter jennings talked a little bit about the supreme court discussing the issue of capital punishment for 16 and 17 year olds. they presented some of the justices' comments, then had other people express their opinions, for both sides of the argument.

what they absolutely neglected to mention is recent pyschiatric and physiological research that shows people of that age don't have fully formed reasoning centers; it's actually the last part of cognition to develop. this research is central in the issue before the court.

but -- it wasn't mentioned. why? maybe someone will read into it that the research helps make an anti-capitol punishment case. does this belie a political leaning of abc news?

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This hints that ABC News points to the Right.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not wanting to go OT, but studies like this are general in nature and may or may not represent the development of the mind of a juvenile commits cold blooded murder.

8. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

ok, but I'm still not sure what the point of Protest Warrior is

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I thought me saying ABC News points to the Right sounded wrong. They usually are a Left-winged media.

Here is the story
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=162200

This story isn't even on Fox.
    Its on the more liberal CBS though.

10. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

another example of how lame right-wing film makers are can be seen by viewing the trailers of the current anti-liberal films doing the rounds. I mean, a bad film is a bad film whatever you believe. For instance, these are scenes (cut, i have to add) from the film IsIt True What They Say About Ann? http://65.36.166.137/ . These were cut, but the trailer is just as banal and pointless. All the other films shown by these conservative film festivals merely seem to be montages of library footage with 'dramatic' music set to them. Poor.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And trailer one seems more like a Bush advocacy ad, not a trailer for a movie.

12. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

Eaxctly. Left Wing satrists like Moore make films to counter the dominant ideology of the Bush administration, where as right-wing film makers can only ever serve to , as you say' promote the current government. As the government has millions of dollars to do this, why would anyone else bother?

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Because the truth behind the Left's films (or the Right when the Dems have the White House) is closer to reality than the governments truth.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Getting back to the original question... a theory I've floated around here before is that the Right in the US is currently falling into the same pattern (and trap) that the Left did 30 years ago. Controlling the nation's political agenda as they do, and with a media that ranges from compliant to sycophantic, they calculate that their next step is mopping up, consolidating power. They are working on the marginalization of any and all opposition. If we listen carefully we can hear this in the talk about a creating "permanent Republican majority."

Not that this will ever happen, of course, but from the standpoint of the Right, they've already collected most of the marbles, and not only can they make a case for being put in charge of everything forever, they're justified in saying to anyone who doesn't share their views something very similar to what Dick Cheney so delicately told the Senator from Vermont. They figure that they've won the ideological war and it's time for everybody else to just accept it.

That is also why the right-wing commentators who dominate our airwaves can get away with saying things every day which by any objective measure are outrageous, offensive and downright scary -- as nobody on the Right breathes even a word of criticism. They're the point-men in the fight to eliminate, once and for all, any last pockets of resistance to complete Republican rule. No way is anyone who'd like to see this come about going to call their best attack dogs off the kill.

But as I said, we've seen it all before, 30 or so years ago on the Left. At that time, American liberals adopted essentially the same point of view. And it was that arrogance of power that led to them become out of touch with the nation -- and vulnerable to attacks from the Right. And we know how that worked out. It can all be explained as hubris -- the arrogance of power. The pride that comes before the fall.

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Have to go OT for a sec. Sorry to be ranting recently.:p

You are, perhaps, correct.

Studies of mass murderers, serial rapists, etc have shown distinct neurological differences in the frontal and pre-frontal lobes in areas to do with impulse control. Oddly, in Serial Killers the lobes go through a cycle of "overactivity" (individual's impulse control is FAR above "normal" 99.99% of the time, most mild mannered dude you'll ever meet) and then effectively "shorts out" (episodes of extreme, ritualized violence) under extreme stress.

This neuroligical abnormality is not a genetic or purely physiological malformation but is linked to very specific circumstances in early childhood resulting in a warpage of context and the effective "scarring" of neural patterns.

Ironocally the movie "Psycho" covers the standard FBI profile quite closely. This profile and neurological print are very well documented and extremely consistant.

When I learned of this phenomenon I couldn't help but think that our entire criminal justice system could be overhauled by these concepts. We no longer have to be using 400 year old modes of punnishment for crimes that are either attributable to neurological dysfunction, drug addiction or poverty.

Wouldn't it be lovely to humanely euthanize the truely psychologically unrecoverable and really rehabilitate the rest? My god! we may not even need 1 in 10 existing prisons!! :eek:

16. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

The only American news station I remotely trust is CNN and even then I prefer the BBC and occasionally go to http://www.aljazeera.com/ to check things out.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

mischief, well put overall. I am not sure how I sit on the death penalty in general. It is sort of like the insanity arguments used in court. I believe that anyone that kills in "cold blood" has to be sick minded. And how certain lives are worth more than others

Sorry for OT

18. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I came to the conclusion I did RE: Euthanasia after several years volunteering in animal shelters where the same behavioural-decay patterns and overall close-quarters health issues play out as in prisons... just on a smaller scale. I noticed the same basic pattern in dogs that the Psych community noticed in the above groups: Some are simply unrecoverable. Only in Dogs it IS more hardwired than taught. In either case it seems the most humane answer is a compassionate death by lethal injection in the company of a caring RN with good pre-mixing. IMHO anything else is cruel and unfortunately entirely too usual punnishment.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As if we needed any more evidence that the right wing in the US has gone completely bonkers, here's an exchange between Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter, from his Thursday show:

I've searched and searched, and I cannot find any quotes from well-known American leftist radicals that compete with these for their shear nuttiness. So unless somebody can come up with quotes I'm not able to find, I may have to modify my thesis somewhat. The right wing radicals of today are even further off the edge than any notable leftist from the '60s. They're so far over the horizon, they're completely out of view of land.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Didn't O'Reilly also make some wierd comment about the cover of Coulter's new book showing her in some kind of black leather outfit in front of a chalkboard during that interview?

21. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

he seemed very toned down, almost normal on the Daily Show - perhaps the Fox show is just all an act?

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It all comes down to consolidating power

My 2¢: I blame it all on Ronald Reagan. Let me explain. It will be long but hopefully interesting.

When Reagan came into office, he did two things that forever changed American politics. His administration adopted a "greed is good" attitude, and his FCC revoked the Equal Time provision for all radio and TV stations.

The "greed is good" mentality basically legitimized amoral, anything-goes corporate behavior. Like vampires preying in the dark suddenly able to operate in broad daylight, the worst corporations no longer had to care whether their actions were tainting food, destroying the environment, or sending people into poverty. As far as Reagan's government was concerned, what mattered more was maximizing corporate profits.

The revocation of the Equal Time provision became a means to that end. Previously, the airwaves had been a precious resource, and the FCC was the guardian of their usage. From Reagan on (including, AFAIK, Bill Clinton's term), the FCC treated the airwaves as a commodity, a thing to be sold or used in selling. The right, more organized (and far more devious) then the Left at that point, saw their opportunity, and they took it. A number of big radio and TV corporations (Fox, Clear Channel. etc.) slanted their coverage rightward, with no consequences to pay. Even the mainstream media (ABC, CBS, NBC), owned by big corporations, began to play it safe. As Jon Stewart tried to say, they no longer ask the important questions. They no longer challenge lies. The Left has tried to play catch-up via efforts like Air America, but having fallen so far behind, they are really fighting an uphill battle.

Now I don't wish to imply that the entire right is a bunch of greedy, amoral nut cases. But the traditional conservatives, like John McCain and George Will, certainly seem to be outnumbered by the powerful voices of the radical right. Think about it. Whose message is more widespread? McCain or Bush? Will or Ann Coulter? If you chose "B" to each of those questions, you win. (Until you have to live with the consequences.)

So what has emerged is a predominantly centerist-to-far right wing media, depending upon the network. There is very little on the Left. But the radical right, controlling the presidency, both houses of Congress and the Supreme Court, is now hard-put to label liberals in government as the Source Of All That's Wrong With America. They needed a new target, even if they had to manufacture it. And that target is the "liberal media".

They've also targeted the media because the media is the Left's primary hope for regaining any kind of power. As centerist as Bill Clinton was, look how they freaked out at his two-term presidency. They have to assure that that never happens again.

And so the right-wing media is a means of consolidating and spreading their power. But it seems to work best for them if they continue to play the role of The Victim. No matter that they control almost everything, they have to make it look like they are the powerless ones, the ones under constant attack. Heck, for most of Bill Clinton's two terms, professional liar Rush Limbaugh opened his show by describing his country as "America Held Hostage, Day xxx."

And so you have not only radical right-wing blogs and web sites, but the (unfortunately) by now traditional radio shows. And that, I think, is your answer.

If Bush wins, it'll only get worse. Hell, if I were Kerry, the first thing I'd do was fire the entire FCC and replace them with people who are truly interested in running the airwaves in the public interest.

One more thing: there are far right-wingers who sincerely do believe this stuff. The American voting public has quite a few empty heads waiting to be filled with whatever swill cynics like Karl Rove are willing to concoct. These are the Angry White Men that people like Michael Moore speak about. All mouth and no brains.

And that means education is a key. Another very important plan for any centerist or liberal president to launch is voter education in our schools. We need to teach kids how to compare reality to the lies they hear from the right (and sometimes the Left). We need to teach them to question the b.s. they often hear from their dittohead daddies. If the kids still come to the conclusion that the radical right is the way to go, fine. But at least we will have opened their minds at the age when they are still impressionable enough to be open.

That, and freeing the media from the grip of right-wing fanatics, are the two most important things we need to do right now in America.

I told you it would be long. :eek:

23. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

long and interesting! You came up trumps, there. So, why then, do these right-wing 'activists' believe that they are so hard done by?

24. wwworry macrumors regular

good post Mr. Veil. Broacdcast television is a big problem in this country. They do not even have to show childrens educational television anymore. I do not know where we would be without school-house rock.

Also the idea that the candidates have to PAY to advertise on public owned airwaves is crazy. Our government has been sold to the highest bidder for lousy malinformative 30 second lies.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

All true, but this doesn't address the question of why "traditional" conservatives (such as McCain and Will; we could easily name others) are so completely silent in the face of their far more radical brethren. Has George Will ever denounced the incendiary lies, historical fabrications and general nastiness perpetrated by the likes of Ann Coulter? It would certainly be big news if he did. No, the rabid right is being given a free pass by the "traditional" right. It might be well worth asking why.