Protestors crash the RNC party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, I admit it: if this had happened during the Democratic convention, I'd be p.o.'d. But since it happened during the GOP bash, I'm amused. Sosumi.

CNN News is reporting that protestors crashed a youth rally speech at the Republican Convention. They had videos of the protestors, on the actual convention floor, being hauled away by security to the cheers of the crowd.

Wish I had a link on this, but I couldn't find a link to it on CNN's site, or anywhere else. But the story's been on Headline News.

2. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, the young people (and the old) have every right to be angry. After all, they are being raped by this administration.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I just saw this on Fox. They've been doing a good job of covering the protests.

One question though. What is the point of the protest? I know they don't like Bush, but that's what November 2nd is for. Are they protesting the RNC's right to assemble and have free speech?

5. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Careful of Fox, kuyu. Just be aware that it is extremely right-wing biased and try to filter through the information they give you.

6. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Yeah, their shows are pretty right. However, the "news" portion of Fox is pretty fair in my opinion. Their "editorial" shows are definatly right of center.

They are covering the protests just like everyone else. Sounds fair to me.

7. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

No, the news portion is not at all fair, yet this is what they want you to believe! I am fortunate enough to speak a few languages and am constantly comparing news sources around the worldd and can say that where the bias is primarily seen in what is NOT reported.

By the way, the fact that you are watching Fox yet they have still not explained what the protests are about is also a clear indiction of their extremely strong bias. I'll be happy to explain more if you'd like. :)

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think it would be awfully useful to the RNC to just take some footage of the nude protestors from a few days ago, and show it to the undecided swing voters. No commentary would really be necessary; just ask the average, American if this is the bunch they feel represents "mainstream" American values.

9. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Please do. From what I can gather (I watch CNN, CNBC, and Fox btw) the protests are about getting Bush out of office, right? Again, that's why we vote. It just seems counter-productive to the anti-Bush movement. It won't help fence voters come to the Kerry side. If anything, it makes the anti-Bush base look like radicals and zealots. I've seen some "normal" looking protests (like the pink slip one, on Fox no less), but most of the footage on all networks shows a bunch that comes off as radical IMO.

10. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Right, that's why we vote.

But the protests are about much, much more. As I woman from Oregon wrote (better than I could phrase it) on the BBC news sit:
    -
    "There's a lot more going on in the protests then simply "we hate Bush" signs. A brief glance at the signs being held by protesters show issues like the economy, separation of church and state, foreign policy and abortion are clearly addressed. One of the strongest images seen was the coffins - one for each US soldier killed in Iraq - being carried along the march route. A review of the Republican platform shows that the planks of the RNC platform are the issues addressed by the majority of the protesters. These protests are less anti-Bush and more anti-poor domestic and foreign policies." (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3611748.stm)
    -
    The damage that this administration has inflicted on the U.S. and the rest of the world can sadly never be undone. The right to demonstrate openly is one of the rights most fundamental to American democracy (or what is left of it), and the exceptionally high number of people that turned out to show how they feel about the damage that has already been done, as well as the potential damage still to be done, sends a powerful and successful message to many in America and the rest of the world.

However, I do agree that protesters committing acts of violence and doing stupid things only defeats their pupose. Fortunately there was surprisingly little of this.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Then don't knock it.

Many of the protestors are peacefully protesting Bush's policies, etc. and that's their right. But when undecided voters witness scenes like the one CNN reported, that can only help the Republicans. When those "swing" voters hear about how personal information about the Republican delegates is posted to web sites, and the site's readers are encouraged to use the information "in whatever way they see fit," how do you think they'll feel about the Democrats?

For the love, please give these protestors all the press coverage they want.

12. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, but these things are nothing in comparison to the contempt for the democracy that the Republicans blatantly show.

I don't think either of the events relating to the links you posted will matter.

All in all, the protests were a success and will hopefully to their part to help to get Bush out of office in November once and for all.

13. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

14. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Nudity always gets tv time.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Please, let's agree to avoid using the phrase "keep it up" when discussing nude protestors.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now you understand the full reasons behind Rove's choosing NYC as the site of the GOP convention. Not only can they wrap themselves in 9/11 and Iraq (while still implicitly connecting the two), they can also point to the wild-eyed hordes of crazed liberals that were sure to be present in NYC. Sure protesters would have come to any venue, but if it's as easy as hopping on a subway many New Yorkers will be sorely tempted to vent their anger at Bush in ways that look bad on camera.

Also, news cameras tend to focus on the extreme. There may be 50 people scuffling with police out of a crowd of 100,000 otherwise peaceful protesters, but what will make the news that night? a nice tight shot of the violence, and very little of the non-violent protest.

The Dems would have seen a lot more protesters if they had held their convention in Houston this year.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

go protest some time. nothing like exercising your freedom to assemble and speak to understand the power and draw of the protest.

it's also heartening to know that (so many) other people feel the way you do, whether you're there or watching it on TV.

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm going to take that advice.

I was already planning to take some time off from work in October. Perfect time for me to travel and join a protest or two. If this is indeed the new radicalization of America, I want to be a part of it.