Proteus is finally Universal!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mduser63, Aug 25, 2006.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

A Universal version of Proteus was just released tonight. This means I can finally ditch Adium on my Intel Mac. I know there are a few other Proteus fans on MR. The new Proteus site is here: http://www.proteusapps.com/. The Proteus 4.14 (beta) linked on that page is the new, Universal version.

2. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

Any pics of this in action? I'd like to know how it stacks up to Adium. I'm always looking for a better chat client.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

what are the advantages and dis-advantages of this stuff? compare to adium?

4. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Well, it's mostly little things. Just personal preference really. Adium is horrible about reconnecting on wake from sleep on my iMac, while Proteus works perfectly. Adium is buggy when it comes to meta-contacts and contact groups, Proteus is not. Proteus handles file transfers better (not perfectly though). I personally like Proteus' interface better. The way you turn on/off individual accounts is easier in Proteus. There are more little things like that.

On the other hand, Adium is more customizable than Proteus (Proteus is customizable though).

They're both free, and they're both open source. In the past, Proteus was not free, and it was closed source which turned a lot of people off. Now that has changed...

5. evands macrumors member

While the others are statements I don't think remain true when comparing the upcoming Adium 1.0 to Proteus, this at least is a fascinating claim... seeing as though Proteus and Adium 0.89.1 use identical protocol core code, libgaim.

6. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm not sure if you're trying to engage me in an argument or not? I wasn't comparing based on any technical knowledge of the two, just that I've had more successful file transfers with Proteus than with Adium. Maybe there is some external factor I didn't realize/account for that caused the difference.

Anyway it's mostly just personal preference. I realize that a lot of people are huge Adium fans. I used it exclusively, every single day for a few months and I just plain like Proteus a lot better. My opinion is a strong one, but not in a zealot sort of a way.

7. evands macrumors member

Nope, no argument. Just a very curious observation. What messaging protocols do you use?

8. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

I use AIM, Yahoo!, MSN/Microsoft Messenger and Google Talk/Jabber. I also use Skype and IRC, but (obviously) not with Proteus or Adium.

I guess another variable in the file tranfers thing could be the protocols used. I don't use file tranfers all that often, and I haven't really noticed which protocol was being used when transfers failed versus went through. A lot of my contacts are meta-contacts on various protocols, and often I don't even know which protocol I'm currently using. To me that's the beauty of Adium and Proteus.

9. evands macrumors member

Understandable. The protocol definitely makes a big difference... to a first approximation, in both programs: MSN always works but very slowly except with people using MSN for Mac; Yahoo nearly always works but can not transfer files more than 10 MB in size; AIM in both older programs works only if neither party is firewalled, though it works consistently under pretty much any circumstance in Adium 1.0; Jabber works pretty inconsistently (hard to say when exactly it works); Google Talk has only so recently added file transfer that neither works (as it's not using the same JEP for transfer as libgaim supports).

(And IRC in Adium 1.0 doesn't support file transfers).

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I just downloaded it, and it open and crashes. I'm running 10.3.9... any ideas? I'd like to give it a shot, but.....

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought that Proteus development died when it became open source. Did someone pick up the torch? I was surprised to hear that a new version got released.... (For that matter, is it a new version or just a UB of the previous PPC release?)

EDIT: I read the blog and I get it now. More power to him! :)

12. evands macrumors member

If you mean the Adium 1.0 beta, it's a known problem... a new version should be up in the next day or two which fixes it. If you mean the Proteus beta, I've no idea :)

13. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Unfortunately I don't have a Panther machine around anymore so I can't test it. I'm sure the devs would appreciate a bug report.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll definitely look into filing one when I get home.

And no, I'm (unfortunately) all too aware of the adium one, which is the whole reason I was so eager to try proterus today. Kinda ironic, ain't it?