Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Encrypted email provider ProtonMail has launched its own onion address, allowing users to access the service over the Tor anonymizing network (via TechCrunch).

The Swiss-based email account provider, which has more than 2 million users, said the measure was aimed at defending against state-sponsored censorship, and pointed to recent moves around the world to block encrypted communications and expand surveillance.

facebook_logo.jpg

ProtonMail said it was worried about increased attacks on online privacy, such as encryption messaging app Signal being blocked in Egypt, and the UK passing expansive surveillance legislation which mandates tracking of web activity.

The service also reported a bump in registrations following President-Elect Donald Trump's election win, with web users said to be seeking a non-U.S. based secure email provider in case of a broad expansion of online surveillance activity.
"Given ProtonMail's recent growth, we realize that the censorship of ProtonMail in certain countries is inevitable and we are proactively working to prevent this," said co-founder Andy Yen in a statement on the launch. "Tor provides a way to circumvent certain Internet blocks so improving our compatibility with Tor is a natural first step."
ProtonMail can now be reached over the Tor network directly using the onion address https://protonirockerxow.onion. The provider has also posted instructions on how to access the site on iOS devices, although it is currently looking into problems with access via the free Onion Browser app.

ProtonMail is a free download for iPad and iPhone on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: ProtonMail Launches Tor Onion Site to Evade State Censorship

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I wish Apple would do something similar. Maybe with an included VPN.

Oh and with reasonable storage subscriptions.
[doublepost=1484830466][/doublepost]
ProtonMail, the choice of preference for terrorists and crooks worldwide.....

Such systems are also valued by researchers, lawyers, dissidents and people that generally value their privacy and or want to protect against espionage.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012

Have to disagree there. Crooks (beyond petty crooks) and terrorists wouldn't trust a e-mail holding site like ProtonMail, because the messages are just stored there (a honeypot for govt surveillance) - cause eventually the govts are going to get in or get a copy and decode it 15 years from now.

Terrorists in particular know to use encrypted chats that do not store messages or encryption keys on servers. You could take ProtonMail and Signal away and the (really) bad guys would still find or create their own encrypted chat systems that would be secure...it would only prevent normal people from having privacy in their communications.

ProtonMail is for normal folks that want some privacy in their communications - its not fail safe. Signal gives a higher level of privacy / security for communications. The bad guys will always have their own ways of doing things, regardless of ProtonMail or Signal. JMHO...

Last edited:

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
It would be exactly the same, but with Obama replaced by a petty, vindictive, intolerant, ill-tempered, shameless, unhinged, corrupt proto fascist, who seems to have a real, real problem with dissenting voices.

So you'd rather have a dear leader that is corrupt, lying, deceiving, murdering by drones (including US citizens without a trial), surveillance state expanding, cold war reigniting, race baiting, clueless about economics, never had a real job nor business before politics, and whistle-blower prosecuting as long as he is smooth talking and sweet jiving? Oh the letter D after names erases all the faults, right?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
So you'd rather have a dear leader that is corrupt, lying, deceiving, murdering by drones (including US citizens without a trial), surveillance state expanding, cold war reigniting, race baiting, clueless about economics, never had a real job nor business before politics, and whistle-blower prosecuting as long as he is smooth talking and sweet jiving? Oh the letter D after names erases all the faults, right?

As far as I can see that description is only one drone strike away from describing Trump. If he campaigned on halting drone strikes then good for him.

Reactions: JackANSI and CarlJ

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

The choice for people with a bit of common sense. We are all effectively sending and receiving postcards with sensitive information on it. It makes no sense any more, given the available technology. Apple included support for S/MIME in Mail many years ago and it is till pretty much used exclusively by businesses.

Reactions: Garsun

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014

I was thinking the same thing this morning about how people trust appearances while they know the horrible truth behind smiles or tears. They all know about drones killing children in Asia and Middle-East, the NSA, the new cold war or the blind support of the so called "freedom fighters" in Syria. I guess they are reassured by fake smiles and empty words. Thanks for your comment.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Considering how petty Donald has been over this... I mean I've never seen a president elect behave in the way Trump does, it could be worrying.

You sir/ma'am, are the master of understatement. It's akin to worrying if your car tires have enough tread left to make it through another winter - then letting the family dog do the driving.

Reactions: JackANSI

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I now use Runbox (out of Norway) because I'm done with hosting my email on Google's servers. Beyond just privacy, they tend to just terminate features and services without much notice. I understand that Google needs to make money, and providing reliable, free email services is quite costly, so I'd rather just have no part in their games to recover their costs.

I run a legitimate website development and hosting business with legitimate clients. Choosing services providers on factors other than cost is a very important aspect of my business. Runbox still delivers the best prices that I've found, amazing customer service, and the privacy that's just better for my clients.

MacFever

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
The encrypted email service (Lavabit) that Snowden used and which closed it's doors because it didn't want to surrender it's servers to government... is coming back... Looks like they are launching a new service in the next 24 hours. Would be interesting to see what they are coming back with...

https://lavabit.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.