Protools 8

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Drumjim85, Oct 3, 2008.

1. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Well Protools 8 just got announced at AES. And it seems to be a really big update.

check it out.

2. macrumors 65816

Catching up to Logic I see.

3. macrumors 6502a

junior

:rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68000

Loge

Looks like they've improved the Sibelius integration in the score editor (not surprising I guess given the ownership), so you can now export a Sibelius score instead of a midi file.

I should say I don't use Pro Tools :p, but I use Sibelius every day and so I'm interested in how this works out in practice.

5. macrumors regular

I'm a Pro Tools user and this has me extremely excited. The new MIDI additions are exactly the kinda thing I need for Uni. Very very excited about this update.

JC

6. macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

As a heavy user of both Logic and Pro Tools I think they can both do with catching up to eachother in different ways.

7. macrumors regular

I'm pretty excited for the doubling of inserts per track, increased track counts, etc. But mostly, I'm really happy with the new UI. Definitely going to make the long sessions a little easier on the eyes.

I was watching an interview with a PT8 product manager and he's been very vocal about Auto-Delay Compensation coming for LE eventually. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm glad to see that Digi is finally opening up a bit to its end users.

8. macrumors 601

zimv20

was it this video?

9. macrumors regular

10. macrumors member

UgLy KoeRner

Hello everyone, my question about pro tools 8 here is that, if I am going to purchase the M-box pro that I want to get soon with my new MBP 4 gig of ram, Can I also purchase this upgrade of pro tools 8 and it will work with what I am purchaseing?

11. macrumors 6502a

junior

I'm pretty sure they'll be offering you a free upgrade if you purchase their product now.

12. macrumors regular

13. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wonder if they have actually managed to write it in a way that means you don't need to keep your system a few updates behind just in order to use it. I doubt it.

14. macrumors newbie

what's the best source to use to learn about PT??? from beginner's to professionals? kind of like the best tutorial?

15. Editor emeritus

longofest

Good to see Digidesign actually putting effort out. I still think Digital Performer is superior. Can't stand how proprietary ProTools is. It causes a lot of headaches.

16. macrumors 6502a

junior

I'd have thought that like Apple, having proprietary aspects to a product model would give less headaches (It accepts plenty of i/o BTW if you need it: Lavry, Prism, Apogee, Lynx, DAD, etc).

Although it's a very simpleton view and a huge generalization, lots of people say the same thing about PTHD as they do Macs. 'It just works'.

17. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not if you keep your computer software up to date or like to have the latest OS security patches.

Just do a search on the number of Pro Tools users who ask for help on reverting to an earlier version of OS X or Quicktime because Pro Tools is written in such a poor manner as to be so easily broken.

18. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the rumors are now that this will be out on Dec 5th.

19. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Protools 8 is now shipping ... :D

20. macrumors 6502

Did they mention anything about Pro Tools working with Avid Media Composer...finally?

I like how Avid is at war with everybody, even the people in the same building.

21. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

with an install file size of around 8gb, Digi wasn't anywhere near ready for the traffic they'd receive today.

Attached Files:

22. macrumors newbie

Digi will never catch up with other software until it allows its users to use non-digi interfaces. Yes, Digi does have a large and loyal group of users out there. But just because Digi is the popular and best known name in the DAW world, doesn't mean it is the best software. Lest we forget some of the major flaws (i.e. only being able to bounce in real time, hardware limitations, etc.)

23. macrumors 6502a

junior

In the studio, real time bouncing isn't a flaw at all for many reasons. Hardware limitation? You can use Apogee, Lynx, Lavry, Burl, Prism, Crane Song, stock 192, 96i/o, etc.
    So what have they got to catch up on?

24. macrumors newbie

I guess I should have specified.

I'm primarily a remote engineer. The company that I work for does medium to large scale remote classical and jazz concert recordings. Realtime bouncing 5 hours of hard data is awful.

I'm also not saying that Digi doesn't have its place. I use it just as much as I use Logic. All I'm saying is that I wish that people in general would be less narrow minded when it comes to thinking about DAWs

25. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I've had some huge files in nuendo, and the time it took to render the files down was a LOT longer than the actual play time...
    now, this isn't an excuse for Digi, i think they should offer a non-real time render as well as real time. But they haven't yet.
    Their excuse: "it's so you can use external hardware" (reverb units and such)