Protools Newbie: Which is Which?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SpaceJello, Jan 27, 2007.

1. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I am so confused about protools, I want to learn it but I am not sure what LE and M3 and HD are?! They look like different interfaces with hardware but i always thought there is a base software for sound editing?! The site doesn't do a really good job in explaining things for new users.

Thanks!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

digi has three lines of PT (from consumer to pro): M-Powered, LE and HD.

forget HD for now, it's > $10k.

the LE and MP lines are, imo, too similar for clear branding purposes. LE s/w has a couple more features than MP.

the bigger difference is in the hardware used to run it. you can use M-Audio h/w (and maybe a few others?) for MP, but LE requires one of a handful of devices (e.g. MBox, 002).

IF you're buying the kit from scratch, you'll probably do better with LE, because the hardware includes the software. MP is priced in addition to the hardware.

overall, the s/w is very similar, but as you go up you get more features enabled. but there's no radical change in how, say, audio is recorded or the mix window is laid out.

i use PTLE, fwiw, and i think the s/w is excellent. the h/w is too pricey for what you get, imo.

3. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks again! So from the sound of it, I assume it requires specific hardware for protools to work? Are they necessary to get for someone thats just starting to learn it?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, the s/w won't run w/o it.

unless you're still running bootable OS9, and can find a copy of Pro Tools Free. i don't believe that digi is still offering the download. but if you head over to your local guitar center, they'll have PT up and running somewhere.

5. cschreppel macrumors regular

Well, Digi recently expanded their LE hardware line.

Digi002 Console - 8 faders + interface
    Digi002 Rack - Same as the console, minus the 8 faders/control surface
    mBox 2 Pro - Several inputs and uses Firewire
    mBox 2 - A few inputs via USB
    mBox 2 Mini - one input via USB...very small and portable - I've been thinking about getting one to keep in my bag at all times.

6. builder macrumors newbie

I am not a PTLE fan, but even I am thinking of picking up a mini M-box....
    The price is sure right