Prototype Enclosures

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 7, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

According to a source, there are currently up to six (6) enclosures undergoing internal testing. Features vary and it's unknown which features may make it to the final hardware... but they at least some include: white speaker, front mounted headphone jack, 4x512MB RAM, new motherboard, bays for two optical drives.

Certainly nothing earth-shattering, but of interest for those following closely... :)

MacWorld Expo NY is only 10 days away, and expectations are upgrades to the current PowerMac line.

2. macrumors 6502a

kishba

yay!!!! some rumor-like info to satisfy my infallible crave... if only it wasn't so generic...

i miss last year when we had spy photos :(

3. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Too bad there aren't any pictures ;-(, I would really like to see what these things look like

4. macrumors 6502a

jbrown

casings

am i the first?? any photos of the cases??

5. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Six different enclosures 10 days before MWNY? Isn't that cutting it a bit close?

6. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

my 0.02.

10 days left.

we have been waiting for almost half a year(?) for new power macs.

i guess we could wait for another 10 days, right guys?

7. macrumors newbie

:D you bettcha......all my money are belong to apple

8. macrumors 6502

whats with the big pict?

I like the idea of them testing multiple disigns.
    Isn't it a bit late? I mean, testing ten days before the show? Whats with that?

9. job
    macrumors 68040

job

I was also wondering the same thing.

10. macrumors 6502a

rice_web

They don't have to ship them for a couple of months, so what's wrong with testing them now?

11. macrumors newbie

they need it before macworld tho

even if it doesn't need to ship ASAP, they still need to show it MacWorld. People aren't going to want a generic PC case, then the message, "Surprise, your computer doesn't look like you thought, its now "...."..."

We need to see the goods before we buy it.

12. macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Freaky SUndays!

Ok First whats with the GOOed JPG?
    Those are POD people , arent they?
    With KAI GOO used with the ugly button on all the way!

Set on Kill!

New enclosures with only 10 days away,,, now being tested...?

I think that the new Powermacs better be ready to ship ,, RIGHT AWAY!

Ship those suckers and get the money in!

Testing now scares me, makes me think that they wont be there for MWNY!

You have to test these things a long time before releases or showing them at MWNY. You can't start testing now!

How will you know which one is to be shown at MW.
    Even if they dont ship till doomsday!

Man oh man, I can see why people get crazy at MW's

I really can, I can feel it coming on ..... Brrrrrr

13. macrumors regular

My guess is that they have that many enclosures right now to mess with the rumor sites. I'm sure they already know what is going to be ready for MWNY.

14. macrumors 68000

dongmin

Re: Freaky SUndays!

People, chill out. The rumor is so vague, it could mean anything.

For all we know, they may already have something set for MWNY and are testing for the next round.

Or, the diffterent prototypes may vary only on minor aspects, like grey speakers vs. white speakers. It could be anything.

Personally, I'm not expecting any radical revisions to the case until the G5. Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll get two 5.25" drive bays. Maybe.

15. macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Maybe the Quicksilver case will be used again. Who knows?

16. macrumors 6502a

drastik

I don't think that hte testing is anything to sweat, they probably just have a few floating around to confuse, or their were up to six being passed around for this development cycle and it took till now to find out how many were moving.

17. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Rumor Temporal Distortion

Add about 6 weeks to any of these types of "testing" rumors. This info is being released very close to MWNY because its "safe" to do it now as many more people have been exposed to the whole CPU desgin process by now.

The new G4s should already be in production in whatever form it will take in order to build inventory for Apple, its distributors and also to sit in customs while gov't Customs agents decide if they could fit terrorists or shoulder fired missles inside a bunch of G4 CPU boxes.

Just relax. This is the big intermediate G4 update to save a small amount of face in the eyes of the media who wonder why Apple sells measly 1.x GHz G4s compared to monster 2.x GHz Pentiums.

I seriously doubt FireWire 2 will appear, just a newer mobo using Xserve tech such as DDR RAM and faster I/O. Xserve effectively let that one cat out of the bag (and maybe more, stay tuned).

18. macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Honestly!

People! Do you REALLY (REALLY!) think Apple don't have the enclosure ready?Maybe there'll be options, maybe not. Maybe they're always testing, and we don't know! I think the previous poster about different coloured speakers is probably right. Patience! 2 drive bays would RULE though. gth

19. macrumors 6502

PLEEEEASE

Kill El Capitan! It has served it's time, and served it VERY well, but it's time for something NEW! Even hardcore professionals want a good lookin' computer, and it's time for a change. =D

Heck, I'm taking out an AppleLoan if the kit is cool enough. hehehe.

20. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Going to MWNY this year...

I wanna see something amazing at the keynote (DDR PowerMacs, G5, G4 iBook), although these things probably won't happen.

Still, I am flying out from Los Angeles to see the keynote.:D
    I can't wait. 10 more days...

21. macrumors member

i hope that the new PowerMac's don't take too long to ship. i have been waiting for a DDR based PowerMac forever. i will definitely be putting in a order once they are made available on Apple's website.

22. macrumors newbie

STILL deciding on enclosures??

This isn't likely... unless announcement to shipment will be another one of those give-or-take 2 month delays! :(

What's this about a poster getting 800 on the SAT in math? Make that two of us; however, it makes me wonder where did he/she take that test. While you can take the PSAT in your Freshman year of HS, no 9th-grader is ever rountinely scheduled for an SAT at that grade level. :confused:

23. macrumors newbie

Quicksilver is almost perfect the way it is...

I think the quicksilver case is almost perfect the way it is now, so I wouldn't be surpised if there wouldn't be drastic changes. Maybe USB, phonejacks, firewire, etc. being in the front and a second full size drive... those are the only design flows in the currect cases.

24. macrumors 68020

mymemory

That was the first thing that came to my mind, what are we? apha testers?

25. macrumors G4

skunk

It's Obvious

Quite clearly, Apple are actually planning to surprise us all and release six different models. Specs, anyone?