PS and Intel Macs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 2ms, Feb 13, 2007.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Sorry if this is a stale question, but could someone tell me what happens if you try to run Photoshop CS on an Intel Mac with OS 10.4?

It was originally for PPC of course. Is OS X able to run it anyway through some kind of emulation layer or what?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

SF already gave you links to Rosetta, but to answer your question, you click on it, and it opens... runs about as well.

4. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

It runs not bad, I have only 512 mb of ram I just give it a minute and it does fine

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes, the emulation layer, "Roseta" seems add a moderate performance overhead. Not bad really. But notice that Adobe has a CS3 beta out now as a free download for CS2 users. CS3 runs native on Intel Macs and seems to be about 60% faster on same hardware.

6. Stadsport macrumors regular

I've got CS3 beta on my MacBook and it runs better than CS2 does under Windows. CS2 and before will run just fine, but not nearly as quickly.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

CS2's a bit slow, but I don't know whether CS would be faster or slower. Depends I guess on whether it used more or less memory and processing power. Probably about the same, I'd guess. It's definitely useable, just expect things to take a little bit longer than they did on a PPC.

jW