Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I hope I found the right sub forum. I was tossed between this one or the digital photo one.

Under these specific conditions,

I've happily used Windows based PCs for years. In February I purchased CS4 (Windows specific) through a special email offer to users of Lightroom 2, for the price of $299. Included as part of that offer, which I fully understood, was that my version was not upgradable; I couldn't move to CS5 for the price of an upgrade. I accepted that offer, because there was no way I could pay full freight for CS4.

Last week, I moved from Windows to Mac. Nice machine, I'm very happy and it represents good value. However, Adobe is giving me trouble with the cross platform transfer of me CS4! The official reason is that my version is "the upgrade version", and therefore is not eligible for the transfer.

Now, I remember and agree that I cannot upgrade further. But there was nothing in that offer that said that it was not transferable to Mac. I believe that Adobe should transfer my license under the original terms; that I cannot upgrade the license in the future.

At this point, I have escalated the issue twice, and the Adobe reps I've spoken with have been as helpful as they can be under the circumstances. I left it with the last rep's supervisor requesting a special exception for my case, and I sent the required letter of destruction along with a personal note praising the reps I'd spoken to and asking for full consideration of my request.

My question is, then, has anyone actually gotten a successful transfer under these circumstances? Or, would anyone like to comment on my chances? (I'm hopeful, but not optimistic; I've heard that Adobe is tough. I don't mind tough, I want tough but fair.)

Lightroom 2, thankfully, was delivered with both platforms as its birthright!

Acsom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I know no one had a comment, but there have been a few dozen views, so I'll post the resolution.

To my total astonishment and pleasure, Adobe has agreed to transfer my license from Windows to Mac, with the agreement that it is not upgradable, as before. The cost is $6, for the shipping of the new software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.