ps1 games...illegal?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ninja_Turtle, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

ok, so my old ps1 games are getting pretty old and i want to make copies of my games so i can have back ups, i was googleing it and i found some file called COPYING PSX GAMES ON MAC, i took a look, tells me the instructions of copying and stuff, but i dont want it to be illegal or anything, is it? i mean, i own the game, and if its pretty scratched and i dont wanna buy another if it gets broken or wont budge on the ps1 anymore...would the ps1 need a mod chip to run the copied games??? i have the ps1 (the really small version of the playstation) so i dunno if it could work and i dont wanna go to jail or anything...any comments or suggestions?

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I wish i had backed up my games there too scratched up too be useful...

3. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Copying PS1 Games

If you still have your original games you could try reading the EULA. However they probably don't mention anything about copying the game. However, I have seen with most other applications you are allowed to have an archival copy of the software in the event that something happens to your master media. The key is having purchased the product so you have a legal user license.

Bottom line... if you own the game I doubt Sony is going to come knocking on your door if you make yourself a backup copy.

4. brap macrumors 68000

It's probably illegal, but Sony aren't about to take you to court. Now if it was PS2 games, and you were selling them on...

You would need a mod-chip, something I'm not so sure is readily available for the PS1. The original one had the expansion port, and you could get rom cards which disabled the checks for that without opening the thing up; you'd have to look into it. If all else fails, take ISO files from them and hope Flarestorm gets very good, very quick.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

6. Ninja_Turtle thread starter macrumors 6502

party

can the CVGS run the back up copies with out a mod chip???

7. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

idk how you would use a mod chip connectix let you run ps1 games on your mac

8. Ninja_Turtle thread starter macrumors 6502

party

ok not "mod chips" but maybe an altered version of connectix VGS??? got any clue??? or can normal CVGS run back up games???

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Let's clear up a few things:

You usually are entitled to one backup copy of any software (including video games). Check your EULA. But, by law, I'm pretty sure you can keep a backup despite what the agreement says. But, don't listen to me. Do some research and inform yourself and us later. :)

Use these patches on the following site to "MOD" CVGS: http://psx.emuscene.com/.

If you make a very good copy, you don't need to MOD anything at all. I have backup copies of a few of my games and they run on CVGS and a real PSOne without any MODs. No special boot data, nothing like that. Just ripped my game, burned it, done. I think the program was called Astare CD Copy. It runs in OS 9 only though.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think it's illegal becuase these are your games and you want to copy them as a back up for yourself. If you planned on distributing them.. that would be illegal.

Yes. It is my understanding that the PS1 (and I believe PS2 games as well) games were pressed onto CDs with known "bad blocks" on the disk. The bad blocks are supposedly how the console recognizes that it's a legit game. No CD-R available to the public will write bad blocks, so when you copy the CD, it skips those bad blocks and just writes all the data contiguously. Here's where the mod chip comes it. When the console boots up with a game in it, the mod chip passes it info that says "this is a legit game", the console takes the bait and the game works.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You are 100% correct on both accounts. That's what I used back in the day as well. Still have a copy somewhere.

Ooops, just looked. It's Astarte CD-Copy. Last version I have is 2.0.2e.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Legally you may make one backup copy, so long as you don't run both copies at once. UNLESS you have to break a copy protection scheme to do it. Breaking encryption is against the law, and that's why copying DVDs, even ones you own, is illegal.

I don't know if PS1 games are encrypted or protected. They may not be. Either way, no one will care...

paul

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Apparently Astarte is out of business or absorbed/moved onto other things..