PS1 games on PS2 with component video cables?

Discussion in 'Games' started by NewbieNerd, May 8, 2006.

1. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

So my just-purchased component video cables look good with my just-purchases PS2 for my just-purchased PS2 games, but when I put in Final Fantasy VII, the image looks good but it rotates on the screen. Note that if I use the normal video cable that came with the PS2 I have no problem, and maybe I won't see any improvement in image for PS1 games anyway with the better cables, but I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what my trouble is and if there is a solution? Thanks!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Many people have problems with PS1 games on the PS2 with component cables. Rotations, freezing, black screens. I usually don't have a problem, but it is very weird. I can take a PS1 game that works on my PS2 with component and give it to you and it not work. You can give me a game that works for you, and it won't work on mine. Some people get almsost no games to work, others (like me) get almost every game to work. Someone told me it has to do with the version of the PS2, but I don't know.

3. NewbieNerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Eh, it's cool. Using the standard cables is good enough, so it's cool. Thanks for the reply.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah the ps2 and component arent very friendly i'm afraid.

Makes me laugh all the problems the ps2 has had over the years, lasers burning out and such and yet people seem to think that its only the xbox 360 that has problems :rolleyes:

I think the gamecube has to be one of the most robust consoles I've ever had, never hear of them packing up the ghost.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The component problems only seem to creep up when playing PS1 games. In generally the PS2 and component cables are very friendly. The component connection is amazing on the PS2 when you consider how old the original design is. The PS2 was really ahead of it's time in this department.