PS2 hard drive mod

Discussion in 'Games' started by steamboat26, Jul 11, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I am wondering if i can still salvage my intermittently working PS2 by getting a mod to back up my games. What do i have to do in order to mod my PS2? Can i use the usb on my ps2 to plug in a hard drive, or do i have to put one in the expansion bay, or something else? Also, do you have to solder a modchip to the processor, or is there some software that you can use instead?

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i think it understand what your trying to do. well there are a couple of things you can do. go to an import store and get it moded. or if you ahve the hard drive that came with final fatasy online. you can buy a cd that will install a game copier and play onto that drive. the reason i say the hard drive that came with final fantasy. it is formated to work with the ps2. any other harddrive you will need a mod chip. i think.

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

That's not true. The PS2 Network Adapter will fit any IDE-based Hard Drive, provided it's the correct size.

I've heard that most people have good luck using 'Western Digital' drives with the PS2.

I believe the Network Adapter comes with utilities to format the HD, but I'm not certain.

What I am certain of is, it is possible to buy a large capacity drive and use it to play backups, etc.

4. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

So i need an IDE based HD and a CD to load copying software? And thats it?!? Seems a little too easy...

5. motherduce macrumors 6502

6. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

yes i know it is a ide drive. i was talking about the format of the drive not shape. sony provides a special format disk for the drive. i did not realise you could use that to format non ps2 hd's. the ps2 hd was only a 40 gig. the final fantasy kit came with the formater, not the network adapter.

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=ps2_installation

the hd loader seems like the best bet to get. it can format most drives and load games, even if you dont have the final fantasy kit.

7. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

This will work with ANY 2.5" IDE HD. I used a Samsung 160GB for mine, and I even tried an old 1995 5gb western digital and it worked as well. The HDLoader will format the drive and do all the work for you.