PS2 or Xbox emulator?

Discussion in 'Games' started by john909kid, Jan 14, 2004.

1. john909kid macrumors newbie

I know theres no such thing as a PS2 or Xbox emulator for the Mac, but whats the chances of one coming out? I think if the evil empire that is Sony had not bought VGS off Connectix, then we all could have been playing Vice City on our Macs now!!!!:D .....but then Connectix did sell their soul to the devil.....
    I remember there was a PS2 emulator in the pipe line called "the crinch project", but I think this could have been a wind up...not really sure about that.
    But I think an Xbox emulator has more chance of coming out, with Microsoft developing it. It is Microsoft that is develping VPC..no? Microsoft could make a mint from such a product.
    Anyway heres hoping....

2. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

why dont why try to make...

one.
    does any one know if we can make one in the xcode. then you can put a donations on the program. i would donation thew pay pal. and i would help pay for this new Compiler http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55405
    can any one tell us?:D
    it would help my dreams and hopes :)

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i think there will be a PS2 or Xbox emulator in a couple of years.

even with PS emulators now i think everyone is putting their efforts into them so we can at least play a decent amount of commercial games.

no point progressing to PS2 or Xbox emulators if there isn't a decent PS emu.:rolleyes:

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I think emulators make sense for retro games or consoles that are not produced any longer... but the experience is never quite 100% (speed, bugs etc.), so if you are really serious about gaming and can afford a mac, you will most likely be able to afford a PS2 or Xbox and get the real deal.

I don't think Sony is more evil than other companies who want to make money (all of them), they just don't want people to play PS games on systems without copy protection...

5. john909kid thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thats true, that most people will already have a PS2 or an Xbox console. I already have a PS2, Gamecube and may get an Xbox soon, but the reason I would really love an emulator would be to play all those great games on a Powerbook.
    I dont think a PS2 emulator will come out in a few years time. Sony I guess dont want such a thing to exsist as it would damage their harware console sales.
    I do think an Xbox emulator is more likely, even with Microsoft developing it.
    Although I guess the real answer to all this is Mac support from the games companies then we wouldnt have to look to use emulators.....

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I thought Sony, MS, etc made a loss on their consoles, and get the money back by selling games? If someone else were to develop an emulator, they wouldn't lose money, and people would still buy games.

On a side note, the open-source "PCSX2" emulator can boot a few games, including Final Fantasy X and Sony Linux (not a game but still...)

7. john909kid thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I think you're right. MSdo make a loss on their consoles. Then by releasing an emulator they are still going to make money from sales of Xbox games???
    Thats why I think an Xbox emulator has more chance of coming out, with MS behind the code.
    But who knows???

8. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

ok, playing all those games on a powerbook would be cool indeed. So when is that emulator coming out ? :D

But I still think that Sony might be a bit scared of having its games released in the PC environment, where piracy is a bit more widespread than in the console market. Mac is a different story, of course ;)

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If somebody made a Mac-only emulator for one of the consoles, I don't think the company involved would care very much, since there aren't too many Mac users to pirate the games.

I believe that the Gamecube uses a PowerPC. I wonder how similar it is to the PowerPCs used in Macs?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Edit: This (assuming it's not fake) looks promising.

Oops, I pushed Quote instead of Edit :(