Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Originally posted by kwajo.com
damn straight!!! DREAMCAST DREAMCAST DREAMCAST!!!! :D best console ever!!!

but of the other two, buy xbox, if only for the harddrive

0-150Km/h in less than 2 seconds on Sega Rally 2. There is no equal to the gameplay of the Dreamcast, Pitty Sega has no marketing ablity.

I even have my DC hooked up to my computer (better graphics because of the higher resolution of the computer screen), and my NAD amp and Energy Speakers. Sends a tingle down my spine every time I hear the "Gentlemen, Start your engines" in Daytona @ over 90dB.

snofseth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I can't decide, but i think I leaning tward xbox becuase it new and hard drive, maybe next year when ps3 comes out all get that, but I don't know

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by snofseth
I can't decide, but i think I leaning tward xbox becuase it new and hard drive, maybe next year when ps3 comes out all get that, but I don't know
plsu you can mod it and load all kinds of games on it as well as linux and turn it into a nice little computer.

iJon

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Originally posted by manitoubalck
A friend of mine got the harddrive updraded to 80GB. He just hires the games he wants and dumps them on the harddrive. Games for free

What's the point if most of the games suck? It's about the games people - and PS2 HAS the games.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by bentmywookie
What's the point if most of the games suck? It's about the games people - and PS2 HAS the games.
thats such a stupid comment because whether a game sucks is opinion based, its not set in stone.

iJon

whitegold

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
This is a simple question

In choosing between the Xbox and the PS2 (or any other console, for that matter) there are two factors. First, the system.

There is no way (bear with me on this) in which the PS2 is better than the Xbox, technically. Of the three new generation machines, the Xbox is the most powerful, though the difference between it and the GameCube is sometimes hard to tell. Graphically, Xbox games shine, and PS2 games look a little muddy and jaggy by comparison. The hard drive is a nice feature, simplifying things like save games, though hasn't been as revolutionary as it should be, due to poor implementation in games. The support for DVDs out of the box is nice, but flawed. No progressive scan on DVDs for absolutely no reason, and the need to buy a remote is a mixed blessing at best.

BUT the area where the PS2 shines is in games. There's a lot of crap out there, don't get me wrong, but the sheer volume of PS2 games means you WILL find some you like, and the high number of PS2s out there means that most games are released for the PS2, though if there is a multi-platform game, the PS2 is often the worst. Xbox is not necessarily such a definite. Not that there aren't some great games on Xbox, but fans of specific genres (esp fighting games, or RPGs) should seriously think about which platform best caters to their needs.

My advice: Take a look at the games that are out now, or coming out before the end of the year, and decide accordingly. My PERSONAL preference is for the Xbox, though it needs more killer titles. The graphics of the PS2 bother me a bit, and the games don't really enthuse me. Not that there aren't games I want on it, but not enough to buy the console.

Anyway, my two cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.