PS2 to Laptop to Airport

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Jan 4, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I have my Cable Modem on one floor of my house, and have that connected to airport. Then I use my laptop wirelessly to connect to the net.

Is there any way to connect my Playstation 2 to the internet by connecting it to the ethernet port on my laptop, while the laptop is connected to the internet through airport?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: PS2 to Laptop to Airport

This may work, go to System Preferences, Sharing, and then the Internet Tab, and choose to share your Airport Connection on the Built-in ethernet. I'll be interested to hear if it works.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

To anybody who want's to try this - you need the PS2 network adapter for it to work.

This opens up lots of possibilities for playing PS2 online from anywhere in the house...

4. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Of course. Or how would you else try to plug a RJ-45 cable into the PS2?

oldschool, I highly doubt that it'll work. But let us know anyway if Wes's method worked.

5. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

EDIT: i just tried it. Doesn't work. I tried a few differen't network configurations to no avail.

Anybody have any suggestions?

The funny thing tho, is that i can connect my laptop to my imac, and using internet sharing, can get internet for the imac.

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

A guess might be that the ports for PS2 aren't open through internet sharing. You could probably configure that in System Preferences/Sharing/Firewall. I'm not sure what PS2 might use, but perhaps that would help. It may be too many DHCP layers if it's going through your Mac.

cpjakes

7. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

I had the firewalls open and everything.

I even tried taking the ip address that the imac gets when i get internet on that through the airport computer and using that manually in the ps2.

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

9. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

You're the MAN!!

well my problems are solved. But if anybody has any other ideas for getting ps2 to connect to the net via my laptop, i would be glad to hear them.

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Any 'ol wi-fi connector is compatible with the Airport?

....learn something new every day. :cool: