PS2 vs. GameCube vs. XBox

Discussion in 'Community' started by FelixDerKater, Dec 26, 2002.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Which console gaming system of the three is your favorite? Why?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Currently I have a PS2 and it's great! I've just been playing 007 Nightfire and it's amazing! I think the PS2 is great value for money, you get a 128-bit console with great games + a DVD player straight out of the box.
    That being said, I'm also thinking about getting a GameCube, for those games that just arn't on PS2, e.g. Mario, Mario Kart; I just love those games! :)

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i have a ps2 and an xbox. xbox is now my favorite. its graphics blow away the ps2, i dont care what anyone says. xbox also has the hard drive so you save as many games as you want. but on the second hand im not dissing the ps2. it all depends on what games you want. when it comes down to consoles, its all about the games and what games you wanna play. if you are into the games that come out for ever console go with the xbox. if you are a gta person get the ps2. if you like splinter cell which is my new favorite game get the xbox. if you like mario and metroid prime get the gamecube.just look at what games you want and look at what games are gonna come out in the future. then pick. they are all great in there own ways. just like a pc and a mac, both great in their own ways. plus right now you can get a good deal on a xbox. 2 free games. some places are even giving away 3 like walmart last time i checked.

iJon

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I'm rather keen on "the book" myself. You can find one used for less than a couple bucks if you look around. Uses no electricity, improves your literacy, and makes you smarter - which explains how I got to be such a genius.

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

those are some of the stupidest reasons i seen to buy and xbox. i can go find a site that says stupid reasons like that on why macs suck. big controller, they have fixed that. expensive, expensive compared to what. last time i checked ps2 in more expensive considereing you dont get free games. it all depends on what games you want. its like when people say who cares if windows has thousands of applications when the 5 you want is on the mac. suer there are more games for the ps2 but some of my most favorite games are on xbox. and plus the xbox's graphics and so much better than the ps2's. i wanna think that most people on this site who diss the xbox are just microsoft haters.

iJon

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

lol i agree.... because those are reasons NOT to buy an xbox!

sure okay but did you not read the rest of the reasons? *sigh*

fact is... ps2 has better games... most of the games on the xbox one can get on the pc. xbox is just a waste of money. the gamecube has less games... but hell its about quality over quantity. nintendo is more creative with thier games then anyone else in this console business.
    there is really no reason why xbox is better then ps2 or gamecube.... really. if there is ... its so insignificant.

and yes i do hate microsoft... but thats not the only reason not to get an xbox... there are so many more reasons.

and dont ever compare xbox to the mac

lol

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is one of the funniest friggin websites I have seen in a long time! :D

(click the link at the bottom of the page "Back to how much I rule..." to view this guys other rants)

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Any serious gamer knows the Xbox is shizzit.

AM I a serious gamer? no, but I know a lot. I just bought a PS2 after a long time of trying to decide bewteen that or the GameCube. It came down to the fact that I wanted Vice City, the network adapter and whatnot.

Gamecube's graphics are better then the PS2 but it's gameplay that matters most. I still enjoy some games on Nintendo. Not super or anythign, the origional...you know, the one I was playing when some of the people on this board were wearing diapers. BUT the gameplay is great and so theyre still fun to play. Nothing in 3D, bad color, horrible sound, relative to now that is.

BUT I WOULD STILL WILLINGLY PLAY THEM OVER THE XBOX.

For me, its PS2 or GC, thats it. XBOX is not even an option. I have a bunch of hardcore gamer friends, one who works in little new york game store who has the PS2 and a GC, but would rather stab himself then get an xbox and he is a big mac hater (I'm working on that) So don't say that people dont like Xbox because its microsoft.

I got 2 games 2 controllers a memory card and the ps2 for 280 Hows that for no good deals on the PS2?? :cool:

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

dude i know it made me crack the hell up. i bookmarked that site.

11. Zion Grail macrumors regular

(That site is the single dumbest thing ever. Complete fanboy drivel.)

I prefer Xbox.

Why? A number of reasons.

Power. Single most powerful console, bar none. If you don't believe me, go watch the Halo 2 trailer. You can't get graphics like that on any other system. And yes, that's the in-game engine.

Features. Custom soundtracks. Breakway nodes. Hard disk. Ethernet card. DVD9 support. Dolby 5.1 support. 4 controller ports.

The games. Halo. DoA3. Project Gotham Racing. Mechassault. Shenmue II. JSRF. Sega GT 2002. Quantum Redshift. Amped. Morrowind. Unreal Championship. Crimson Sea.

Games coming soon. Crimson Skies. Ninja Gaiden. Panzer Dragoon Orta. Midtown Madness 3. Brute Force. DoA XVB. Vexx. Freaky Fliers. Crimson Sea. Battle Engine Aquila. Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic.

Best version of multi-platform games. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Splinter Cell. Ghost Recon. Jane's Attack Squadron. Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Dr. Muto. Outlaw Golf.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Plus, it has by far the best online service.

I know people who are so anti-MS they're just blind to the possibility that they might make a decent product.

"There's no games."
    There are over 200.
    "The only good game is Halo."
    Try looking. See that list above me? That's a good start.
    "It's not that much more powerful."
    Watch the Halo 2 trailer. That's in-game. No other system can do that.
    "You have to install games."
    No, that's for Final Fantasy XI, a PS2 game. You don't have to install games on Xbox.
    "You need to buy the DVD remote."
    You need to buy memory cards on the other systems.
    "The online kit costs $50."
    The network adapter costs $40 on PS2. It costs $60 to get the headset because you have to buy SOCOM with it. Plus, the XBox headset takes up a slot on the controller, not the port.
    "The online requires broadband."
    Same with SOCOM.
    "I heard it's failing and they're quitting the market."
    Nearly 9 million units sold, over $2 Billion invested and this is the key to the future of Microsoft's business. Yeah. Right. I dare you to go up and say what you "heard" to an MS exec. They'll laugh you out of the country.
    "I heard Xbox is losing $177 million per quarter."
    You're right. Now, ask me how much they make off Windows per quarter. ($2.5Billion) This is called a loss leader, they are willingly taking a loss to to into the market and secure their future as a business.
    "The controller sucks."
    Controller S. Problem solved.

To top it all off, you can get an Xbox for just $199.99, and that includes 2 free top-quality games (JSRF and Sega GT 2002) and a Controller S.

Open your minds. Be open to the odd idea that MS has a good product. Think different. ;)

All that being said, it comes down to individual taste. Do you like Japanese RPGs? Get a PS2. Nintendo games? GameCube. Action? XBox or PS2. Sports? Xbox - PS2 if you absolutely positively have to play Madden online now. Online gaming? Xbox. Go with what you play. If you're like me, XBox is a perfect match. If you're like my friend who is hooked on Zelda, you need a GameCube. If you're hooked on Japanese RPGs, get a PS2.

Keep an open mind and a good idea of what you like, and go with that.

(BTW - I have personally sworn off Sony and all other RIAA members. I will not fund the RIAA. So PS2, at least new, is not an option for me.)

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

lol

i think that site speaks the truth.

i think the x box is utter crap.

you think that site sux

you think that site is utter crap

ahhh the beauty of opinions!

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

>click here

As if the first comment didn't piss me offf, the comment about b/g game ratio comparison with N64 pissed me off even more.

I still play both N64 and xBox. I feel the xBox has the most rapid fire graphics of the three systems, not just because of the specs, but because of what I've seen in person. As for N64, point out any one game better than The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. Ah-hah. Thought so.

Out of the three choices for this thread, I would choose the xBox. But I would rather choose the N64 system. It didn't have to rip off others to present games and the system itself, its own technology was well into its time, and many of the games for it were original. Besides, I like the translucent color scheme. :p

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thank you. finally somebody who knows what they are talking about.

iJon

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

lol

funny stuff man... funny

yeah its pretty much all about preference... but hell man... xbox will always be a joke to me.

opinions are beautiful

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah, its all opinions. lets not flame each other. this is a mac community. i prefer the xbox and ps2. i have both and i enjoy them very much. i wouldnt have gotten an xbox but i was to lazy to wait for splinter cell to come out for pc. now i just need a gamecube to complete the cycle. i will then have an xbox,ps2,gamecube,mac and pc. lol. i will stick to my opinions on xbox but i will respect your opinions on everything else kross. its cool. i dont care.

iJon

17. Zion Grail macrumors regular

iJon - I work at a game store. I sell this stuff. I'm also a really big gamer. It's my job to know what I'm talking about. ;)

18. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have a PS2 , its got games, it can plays DVD and in general it rocks way more than any other system

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha yeah, good job, those were some good points. the only thing i know how to sell real good is macs. thats why i work at an apple reseller.

iJon

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am almost forty, but when the kids let me use the tryout machines at the store, which is rare, they all seem too cool

i like them all and was excited when xbox came out

21. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Does anyone have a hard time play Game Boy Advanced games. 'Santa' brought my daughter one and I can barely play the games because the controls seem to small. I know they were designed for children, but does anyone else have a hard time with the controls?

22. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

w3rd! cool man.

23. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

reasons why i will never own an XBox:

1) its made by m$ and i cannot STAND to give them money

2) all the games on it that are worth playing are also on ps2 and/or gamecube. there is an occasional exception such as halo and splinter cell. and splinter cell will be making its way to ngc and ps2

3) there are many many many more games on ps2, and many more games exclusive to the ps2 and/or gamecube that are worth playing.

4) there is only ONE demo system that constantly has problems where i work (eb games)...guess what? its the xbox.

5) hardware power really doesnt mean much in the console world, especially since all the current ones are so closely matched. not one system has truly been tapped of its power by any game released.

6) did i say i would be loathe to give m$ money for anything?

that being said, I think the xbox is a nice system and has hardware potential. then again so did the segacd the sega 32x the sega saturn the sega dreamcast the nintendo64 the virtualboy the game gear the turbografix the sega master system the 3DO the CDi....need i go on??

i own a gamecube and i have since the day it came stateside. i will always be a nintendo fan, but this time my investment has paid off...with metroid prime mario sunshine and the forthcoming zelda. i also own a game boy advance.

i am itching for a ps2 these days for one game and one game only: kingdom hearts...*drool*

and im spent.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I went with the PS2 for one reason. The massive collection of games. Oh, and one other thing. It's pretty easy to put a MODCHIP in a PS2.

25. Zion Grail macrumors regular

One should note that the best version of any given multi-platform game is, 9 times out of ten, on Xbox. Plus, no memory cards.

Also, try looking harder. There are a lot of great exclusives, too. Even Buffy turned out AAA.

Again, try looking harder. Keep in mind that the PS2 gets a lot more filler. That's the cost of having a larger userbase - the crap games come much more often to that system.

Guess what, I work for your biggest competitor, and it's the opposite at our store. The GCN's pathetic controllers gave out after two months, and the PS2 lasted about a year before it gave up the ghost.

The Xbox is still going strong, and is easily the most impressive system to display. Crowds gather for the Halo 2 trailer.

WRONG. The Xbox is far more powerful. It can render a couple hundred more MB of textures at once, and at over twice the framrate. It has more lighting abilities, and vertex and pixel shaders... I could go on and dump a crapload of data on you, but for time I'll save it in case you still haven't seen the Halo 2 trailer which pretty much destroys the notion that the systems are evenly matched in hardware power.