[PS3] 20 Gig Model Gone From USA?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gkarris, Mar 5, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

So, I still can't find any 20 Gig models around Chicago. The local ads for Best Buy, etc. no longer even mention them.

A few of the Targets have taken the shelf tag away for the model. What's up?

Being a videogame collector, it seems that the 20 Gig model will go down as being the rare one and will ultimately be collectible.

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Well, Europe aint getting it at all, so you might be right. Production of 2 to expensive?

3. applekid macrumors 68020

I haven't seen too many electronics jump up in price once they go out of production. I don't know if I'd call a 20 GB PS3 collectible if it's really discontinued.

Maybe if you keep it sealed in its box, but I kind of doubt it.

Anyways, it's time they got rid of the 20 GB PS3.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This was reported by Sony a while ago that they had ceased production of the 20gb model. Just a matter of stores getting rid of stock and then there will be no more 20gb ps3's for anyone.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

My local Wal-mart isn't selling any 20 gig PS3s, and I don't think that any of the other stores are either.

6. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I mean, like 20 years from now...

I bought an APF Imagination Machine new in box on eBay before people new about buying this kind of stuff on eBay and I only paid $100 for it.

When I got it, it had the original tag on it from a discount warehouse store of $19.99...

7. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

If you were to keep any new game system sealed, in 20 years it would be a collectible to someone. However I doubt it would be a substantial payoff.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's an absolute shame. I much preferred the all black appearence of the 20gb model. Oh well!

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yeah, all the same colour looks better, and the cheaper price-point would suit a modder like me... bleh

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Aesthetics aside I'm glad that they're going back to a single configuration. Simpler. (Although, it unfortunately raises the entry price)

11. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I read something the other day (maybe Joystiq?) that said the 60 gig only costs Sony like $68 more to manufacture; since 60giggers are the ones that sell, there's no point in saving $68 to produce shelf space hogging dust collectors when the 60giggers are moving at a quick pace. :D

12. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Around here in Chicago - it was the 20 Gigs that were moving - especially for a $499 Blu-ray player.

The $599 ones are all over the place in boatloads. Best Buy stop putting them "on the floor" because it looked like they weren't selling, and actually, they're not...

13. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I think if I was going to splurge on a Ps3, I'd get the "better" one of the two. But then again, therein lies another problem...you're already trying to convince people to spend +$100 on your console, it's hard to convince those (already somewhat disgruntled people) to spend another extra $100 on the 60gig model.

I can see the argument both ways. :eek:

14. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Yep. I heard the argument that Sony should've just released the 20 Gig model and make more to go around.

A lot of people online are getting the 20 Gig model and spending the extra $100 on peripherals, or upgrading the hard drive to 120 Gigs...