PS3 and 360 with Wii type controllers

Discussion in 'Games' started by roach, Dec 31, 2006.

1. roach macrumors regular

I think Wii’s remote is the way of the future. I predict PS3 and 360 introducing Wii type controllers in two years or so using add on hardware and software upgrade. If true, PS3 and 360 would have the best of both world…killer graphics and Wii type controllers? Possible?

Roach
    Wii owner

2. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

3. Spartacus macrumors member

Good Question...

There's probably going to be a lot of flaming on this thread, so let me support the OPer in saying this is a good question.

Heres my take: Consol gaming has been around for a long time. In that time Nintendo has really been the only one to utilize motion (ie Power Glove) or light technology (Duck Hunt anyone?) into their games on a meaningful level. I'd think if using these concepts were really how games were meant to be played Microsoft and Sony would have incorporated those functionalities into their gaming systems by now (especially considering both systems are on their second/third generation). Yes, the PS3 controller has 6-axis tilt functionality, but that doesn't really revolutionize the way a game is played like the WiiMote does.

The Wii is super inovative and Nintendo is way ahead of the competition in this regards, but the ideas of motion and light inputs have been around for almost two decades. If Microsoft and Sony wanted to use them, they probably would have already. I wouldn't expect anything coming from Microsoft on the current generation systems (when will it stop being called the 'next' generation system), but that doesn't mean I don't have high hopes for the XBox666, because having an XMote really would be the best of both worlds in my opinion!

Edit: And I don't know anything about copyright law, so if that's been Microsoft and Sony's barrier for implementing this technology then you might as well F the above.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The Wii remote has two 'innovative' technologies.

First is the motion sensing. The fact that you swing it like a sword in Zelda, or like a bat or tennis racket in Wii Sports. Or that you rotate it like a steering wheel in Need for Speed.

This is the lesser of the two. Sony's PS3 controller (what is it with Sony fanboys insisting on calling it "SIXAXIS" in all caps?) can do this.

The more unique function is the 'pointer'. The fact that you have the sensor bar (badly name, it's just an LED infrared TRANSMITTER, it doesn't 'sense' anything,) whose signal is picked up by the remote (which has the sensors,) so you can just point at the screen to move the pointer. This is what Sony is lacking. Any such accessory would (barring some new technique that uses the content of the screen itself for calibration,) require a transmitter bar like the Wii.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You've also got to remember that any new controller coming from Sony will lack rumble, so it's already a dead duck alongside already released competition.

And I think it was said in this forum, but I'm glad the 360 is a little more traditional. For ages I've been thinking "I won't get a 360" purely because I've had such incredible experiences using the Wii controller. But I have my wired 360 controller on my iMac/PC and it's the best classical controller ever (minus the D-pad).

I want one company to continue to push and evolve gaming (Nintendo) and another to keep classic, as gaming once was but shinier, faster and bigger (Microsoft). Not a half assed hybrid of the two machines in one package.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think either MS or sony will come out with a Wii-type controller for the 360 or PS3.

Firstly it's neither companies' style nor the market they are after at present. The fact that they went with vastly similar controller designs to last gen (albeit with some motion sensing on PS3) demonstrates that it's not a priority. Their priority is in online gaming, HD format wars, getting developers on-side, and increasing the scope and power of the machines in terms of graphics and multi-media capabilities. It's a more clout than risk strategy.

The second thing that will keep them out is installed base. This is where the Wii is a leaps ahead. Everyone who has a Wii has motion sensing controllers so developers know that their market will include everyone. For the 360 or PS3 to bring our motion sensing controls they have to sell it to the whole market. It'll take a lot of investment and a lot of risk to create killer apps that bundle the new motion sensing controls and appeal to the masses of 360/PS3 fans. I don't see this as an effort Sony or MS are likley to take with their current priorities.

With the success of the Wii's controls I think we will see motion sensing controls for 360/PS3. But I think these will come from 3rd party developers and be extentions of Guitar Hero or Eye-toy like gaming. Who knows what will happen by next gen though. If Nintendo continue their initial success and gain significant marketshare off Sony or MS, then their hand's will be forced to include motion sensing controllers for their next wave of consoles.

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The PS3 has a motion sensing control out of the box. M$ is the only party to miss that boat for this gen. Of course they missed a lot imho.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

In the context of this thread we are talking about Wii-like motion sensing. This includes movement and pointing. The PS3 implementation is not even an approximation to Wii controls.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The only thing its missing is pointing :rolleyes: Otherwise it has the same gyroscopes and accelerometers that the Wiimote has.

Ed

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Firstly, Nintendo has patented their controller like nuts. I really doubt it. Secondly, historically, addons fail, big time. Even if halfway through the systems life span they came out with a Wii-type controller and somehow DIDN'T get sued through the roof by Nintendo, all third party games in production would be working towards the traditional controller and there would be no reason to switch over.

PS3 and 360 games cost many millions of dollars to produce. Eight-digit numbers. No developer is going to risk bad sales by making their game exclusively work with a new addon that MOST PS3 and 360 users do not own, because since everyone with a 360 owns a regular controller but only a few early adopters own the Wii-type controller few will buy it, at least initially.

No one will take that risk, and thus, it will end up an add-on for a few games.

That's the beauty of Nintendo's strategy. They knew developers wouldn't take the risk of millions of dollars in development on an unproven platform. By making the Wii a budget system, they get more buyers. By making the Wii not so powerful, they GREATLY reduce development costs.

By making the Wii ultra-cheap to develop games for, developers are more likely to take the risk of making Wii games. When their games sell well, then they support the platform. It works; after Wii launch, Red Steel sold very well and Ubisoft announced seven more Wii titles.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

True, but positioning is a key part of the Wii functionality. Even without the pointing ability you'd never get Lightsabre/sword like controls as the PS3 controller is designed for dual hand use.

I don't criticise the PS3 controller (in this respect at least) but it's main functionality from what I can see, will be steering and leaning (FPS). Or they're just the most obvious ones that come to mind.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It doesn't matter how similar the components - as Jimmi pointed out the implelmentation of the two are vastly different. Equating the two on the basis of componentry is absurd.

To reiterate - the context of this thread is do we think that PS3 or 360 will see Wii-type control. If you're arguing that PS3 already has Wii-type controls I think you're on your own.

[​IMG]

13. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Maybe because that's the official name and capitalization of the controller? :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sixaxis

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It's quite useless arguing with the xbox fanboys in this forums. The best just rename it "Nintendo & Xbox Game forums, if you like Sony go elsewhere & you're always wrong"

Ed

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Way to throw your dummy out of the pram ;).

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes, and the Wii controller is officially the "Wii Remote", yet everyone calls it the "Wiimote". I guess there's no easy, "friendly" name to derive from "SIXAXIS".

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The sixy*?

*With a New Zealand Accent

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

"Could I buy a can of Coke Cola please?"
    "What sort of automobile do you drive?"

"I'd like to buy a Microsoft Xbox 360 please"
    "Would you like an extra Microsoft Xbox 360 WIRELESS controller with that?"

Sony can call it whatever they want, along with Nintendo. It's Wiimote and the PS3 controller to most. Only fans and soccer moms go onto the pointless detail, the capitalisation is just the icing on my cake of giggles when I actually see it written by non-Sony execs.

19. pcypert macrumors 6502

I agree with Ed H. I'm a big Nintendo fan (own every console from way back to present minus the Wii...even have that robot thing on the NES)...anyway, this should be renamed the Nintendo/WOW with a touch of real Mac gaming and mild toleration for 360 because it's not PS3 forum.

That people will go to such lengths to defend a system with a handful of playable games and to badmouth the PS3 which is the same deal by and large is insane...

Paul

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Go look at the early threads about the PS2/Gamecube/xBox on this forum....you know what your going to find....PS2 and Gamecube being "good" and xBox being "bad"

People didn't just wake up and say "I hate Sony" they woke up and said "I hate what Sony is doing because ....."

21. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

No, we just don't like the PS3 fanboys claiming that the PS3 will own all and that it's the best system when currently it's in third and that 'best' is subjective. Sure, it's a great machine, but it doesn't suit most of us right now.

Sure, the 360 isn't perfect, but it has a lot more games then the PS3 and right now the graphics are just as good or better.

22. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I hate the Wii controller. I was so afraid to get zelda for the fact that I was afraid I was gonna have to do mass movements, swings, and pull backs to play zelda. Luckily its just point and click and the once and awhile swing.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. If you want to see baseless reasons to why people love or hate consoles go to the Gamefaqs forums.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can think of a few games that almost demand you have an add on to play them like they where meant to be used you had to have the add ons. And you really would not buy the game with out getting the Add on.

The 2 big one that I know have done amazing well are DDR (the entire DDR line and you kind of have to get the pad to really be able to play that game) and another game that has done amazing well is Guitar hero.

So do not say that because it would require an add on it would not do well. Several games have done very well requiring an add on.

25. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah, especially considering GameFAQs average age is probably 10 years old.

The beauty of the Wii controller is that it can work just fine for traditional games and it opens up a whole new world of gameplay possibilities but the 360 and PS3 controller still works better for other kind of games, for example I wouldn´t like to play a fast paced action game like DMC3 on a Wiimote nor Marvel Ultimate Alliance, etc,

The Wiimote is a very good way of controlling but I think its hardly the imperative future of videogaming.