PS3 and Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Games' started by TyleRomeo, Nov 13, 2005.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Will I be able to hook up Play Station 3 with my 23 inch Cinema Display and play games and watch movies back in HD. I imagine there would some sort of digital converter for HDMI and DVI connections? Anyone know if this is possible?

Tyler

2. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Hey, yeah, this chance is actually pretty high, and this is what I would love to do then, too ;)

The HDMI port(s) of the PS3 are backwards compatible to DVI. Unlike DVI though, HDMI also carries the audio signal. So if you buy a kind of Y-cable which splits from HDMI to DVI+Audio, you are set to connect everything!
    I believe such cables do exist!

(And this setup will rock a lot ;))

5. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahh i didn't think about the audio part of it. I also did some research online and found DVI-HDMI is pretty common and priced around $30. I have a dual G4 tower without optical sound built in obviously. Right now I have a mini-to-RCA adapter to hook up my sound from my Yamaha amplifier. If I get a another spitter to take the yamaha sound into the Playstation 3 and into the G4 tower at the same time, will that give me audio playback from PS3 games and also be able to play itunes from my speakers?

Tyler

6. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

As far as I know, the HDMI port delivers digital audio. If you dont forget about this detail, you should be ready to connect it to a home cinema system :) Analog input would cause trouble, of course ;)

7. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I have to ask... What about a PS3 and a 30" ACD? Or for that matter, a PS3 and two 23" or two 30" ACDs. :D

8. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Your forgeting about HDCP

This won't work. And this is why... http://www.edn.com/article/CA209091.html
    If you could simply use any DVI input then HDTV wouldn't be that big of a deal. Everyone who owned a computer monitor would technically own an HDTV. They say HDCP was made to keep people from recording a digital signal off the cable connection, but most people these days would just copy the files on an hd format disc. And HDTV is already recordable over firewire anyways. The real reason is to not cut into overpriced television sales. This may not matter soon anyways. Windows Vista is supposedly only going to display HD content (internet, blu-ray, misc. files, ect.) if you have an HDCP compliant display. Will Apple do this as well?

9. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay can i by pass this with some eye TV product or something from ATI where I plug that into a PCI port and then view the PS3 signal on my cinema display?

Tyler

10. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

i was thinking along these lines myself when I first heard about the xbox 360. A few things stopped me dead in my tracks. Firstly console resolutions (or HDTV) doesnt work well with the traditional 4:3 format. Meaning you can plug a 720i HDTV res into a monitor, it would just look small and rubbish. Remember, just because it TV buffs think its 'HD' - when compaired to a good monitor , HDTV still looks well.. LD ;) .

Just look at the size of Xbox 360 screens, all 720i. here

Thats not much bigger than old school 640x480 really :) Even cheap PC's can run these games at the same res+details. If you take a look at a high res + high detail PC game eg - Stalker you can see where all the PC CPU/GFX power goes into...

So, running though a TV card.. you would have to stretch low res letterbox format to 4:3 ..
    not pwetty ;)

Another problem is the cables (as discussed)

Yet another problem is 1080i HDTV - now *thats* high res .. good luck finding a monitor that can support it (i think 23" Apple display just falls short)

However, for the PS3 things could be different. The 'special' model comes with Linux, which would suggest that the PS3 is more likely run though a DVI or VGA cable @ standard resolutions.... suggesting that the console is going to be more of a PC 'killer' than a games box.

Which would be fun to watch..

Rob

11. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob just a couple of corrections, the X-box 360 images you added as links arent HD 720, that would be 1280x720 in resolution, they are 800x450. which means that site simply scalled them down, since not everyone has a monitor that can display HD 720. And the apple HD 23 inch cinema display is true HD otherwise it wouldn't be called an HD display. It features 1920x1200 resolution, more than enough for 1920x1080 HD displays. But I think I would need a G5 to view HD stuff back on my G4, or a really poweful PCI or add on hardware (hopefully a PS3) to view HD from HD cinema display.

Tyler

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

aside from the fact that any HD signal being sent from the PS3 will probably only be sent over a HDCP-enabled connection, this would work. But it won't, because the ACD isn't HDCP-compatible. If you connect a PS3 to an ACD by using an HDMI-DVI cable, you will get a signal for about 1-2 seconds, and then the "handshake" being sent by the PS3's HDCP will fail, and you'll lose the signal. There's not a stable "work around" that will give you HD resolutions. If they allow a break-out cable using analog (either VGA or RGB component) at HD resolutions (as the 360 does), then you still won't be able to use an ACD for the same reason that the 360 won't display on the newer ACDs—They don't accept an analog-in signal.

Or if they do, the product literature goes WAY out of its way to imply that they don't!

The ACD website on apple.com says DVI, digital, digital, digital good good good, VGA analog bad bad bad. and that seems to be the stance.

and to clarify on the 360 resolution thing...the 360 is supposed to require all games display in at least 720p, not 720i, which isn't a standard that's been embraced by anyone, and to my knowledge doesn't even really exist as a valid standard option.

there are indications that PGR3 is actually running 600p instead of 720p, which is lame and a bad precedent to set, but all other previewed 360 games will run in "real" 720p which means 1280x720 and no interlacing.

certainly not 720i!

If those screenshots were of a 360 running in this mythical 720i, then they would STILl be showing 1280x720 pixels in a screenshot, because interlacing a picture doesn't make it smaller, it just makes it draw on opposite rows on opposite frames. a "true" screen grab of a 1080i frame buffer will either show every other line "blank" (black) or it will show half of one frame interlaced with half of another frame, which will still be 1920x1080 pixels. If you were to "ignore" the blank screenlines in an interlaced signal and just display a "540p" signal, you'd get a 1920x540 pixel screenshot that looked like you had smashed it down to half of it's original height, not a correct-aspect 960x540 pixel screenshot.

And then there's non-square pixels, which can make all of this much more confusing. basically, those screenshots aren't what you think they are.

13. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

You could, but....

You could, but then you would have the problem of latency. The response time through all video capture devices is usually too slow, short as a second in some cases, which is still too slow for action games, but might be acceptable for RPGs(Think Final Fantasy X- Each character waits for their turn to attack not the real time system of X-2). But the picture quality will be fuzzy or dark compaired to a real LCD tv. S-Video is usually the highest level input. You could get a capture device with Component video, but those usually start around 2 grand and use professional BNC connects instead of the standard consumer RCA. BNC to RCA adaptors are actually pretty cheap, but again component input capture devices are expensive and you still have the latency.

This topic comes up a lot. You think some one would invent a LIVE consumer(cheap) input device for this by now. Here are some related threads (the first one is the best some one actaully tried it and posted screen shots!):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=106890&highlight=ati+elgato
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=137429&highlight=ati+elgato
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=161134&highlight=imac+xbox
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=160113&highlight=imac+xbox
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=153502&highlight=imac+xbox

The best choice is to of course just get an HDTV. At the moment most are limited to a 720 or 768 vertical res. which is very limiting for PC monitor use. If 1080p was more common I think more people would just use HDTVs as their computer monitors. That would canablize the market though which is why this may never happen on the cheap and small end of the spectrum. Almost all of the most recent released models of HDTV's from all manufacturers are now HDMI exclusive. Goodbye DVI!

There are PC Monitors that have HDCP DVI ports though. Here is my one man thread on the topic:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=111609&highlight=imac+xbox

14. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

Tyler,

Agreed, was totally wrong :) Had a discussion with my friend in the pub about this.. I ended up buying him a pint
    ;)
    I was misguided by the screen grabs from the 1up site (and another friend)

Otherwise, I stand corrected - sorry folks !