PS3 and Linux...where's Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Games' started by NKAWTG, Nov 15, 2006.

1. NKAWTG macrumors newbie

Since there's been news on how to install alternate OS's on the PS3 with Linux (Fedora Core 5), when or is there any news on making OS X operate on the PS3? I understand that it requires an OS using PPC and with the migration to Intel, this might cause some issues in the future. Just wanted to see what people are thinking on this.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I doubt it, although it would be sweet.

Yellow Dog Linux (what PS3 will use) also runs on PPC Mac's which is kinda groovy. Maybe some sort of home network with a PS3?

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that'd be kinda cool

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So what's this now? Apple have finished eyeing up Nintendo and now we're onto Sony. Can't wait for them to eye up Microsoft!

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

IBM has put a lot of work into the linux kernel on Cell. Only one of the 8 cores is PPC compatible, and I'm not sure how the supporting infrastructure compares to desktop machines.

6. dwishbone macrumors regular

the first way to run MacOS on PS3 Linux will probably be when someone ports Mac-on-Linux or some other virtual environment to it. Terrasoft, the maker of Yellowdog, is an Apple loving company and MAY have already done this. who knows.