PS3 Backward Compatibility Issues

Discussion in 'Games' started by gloss, Nov 13, 2006.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Well, that didn't take long.

Anyone else thinking that this isn't quite shaping up like Sony had imagined?

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The question is which 200 games have been found not to work? They could easily be 200 pieces of crap. OTOH, people wouldn't be trying to play total crap games, so there must be some important ones in there.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

knowing that _some_ of the last ps2 revisions (out of i think 14) actually had compatibility problems with _ps2_ games because sony made changes in architecture, i'm hardly surprised

and one of the games not working was for example Tekken 5

i thought Sony had worked out that issue (after all the ps3 simply has the ps2 hardware in it additionally AFAIK)

5. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I believe this is rather clever marketing. PS3 games sales will soar. No one will want to hold on to an old version of a game say something like Tekken if it won't play and they're is a new double the price PS3 verion of Tekken just round the corner that will. Its a major global conspiracy.

I also believe the the massive size of the ps3 is due to the fact there are little elves inside it powering it. Thats why its called the "Cell" its a prison!

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

How it has fallen. 4D, super Cell chip, fastest supercomputer blah blah, dual HDMI, dual 1080p.

What a disaster. What I want to know is if the PS3 actually was this at some point? that they removed all the insides to make it cheaper?

7. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

From another article:

"Games affected are believed to include Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy."

I doubt people are buying these things and then trying out their 200 most obscure PS1 and PS2 games.

Happily, Sony says it's something they can fix in software, so it's not something people will be stuck with. Still, it shows the sort of corners Sony's been forced to cut to get this thing out on time.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Makes you wonder if they are using emulation too...

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

more than probable. Seeing as though the hardware is completely different internally, it has to be emulating the ps2 & ps1....

Full backwards compatible they claimed. All games 'TRUE HD' they claimed...
    all bull crap in order to differentiate themselves from 360, all lies...

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well PS2 actually included the PS1 chips, and I had heard PS3 was going to be doing the same (including the PS1 and PS2 chips)... but this seems to suggest otherwise.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the ps2 was just like the ps1 using a MIPS processor (with perhaps a few additions) so it didn't really need to include extra chips

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They even claimed it would upscale all the old PS2 and PS1 games to 1080p originally.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... So they've actually dropped that? *not laughing just yet, need confirmation*

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Gawd, imagine how awful some games'd look...

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm sounds a lot like Longhorn/Vista.

The old guard fails and the newbs step in.

Perhaps Sony's failing is a parallel against the OS world?

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Jim: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745245p1.html
    Gran Turismo 4 is the only PS2 game that does 1080i; that still works, but other PS1 and PS2 games are not upscaled.

That sucks, because even my PC can upscale PS1 games.

They already look awful, upscaling would improve it.

17. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Umm, nintendo was the old guard. Then Sony showed up, and then MS. If by parallel you mean opposite, then maybe. :p

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I meant in so-called "modern" consoles.
    As in the last 2 generations.

8/16bit systems can suck my ****.

19. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

I don't understand, if you are wealthy enough to afford a PS3, don't you already have a PS2? I agree though, if they were supposed to improve quality of older games &ct. then thats crap if it fails to do so. IMHO the failure of the PSP to be backward compatible is a MUCH bigger issue for normal users, since you still cannot carry a PS1 in your pocket.

To PS3 fans, my sympathy. Myself, I am an Xbox360 man, if you look at the initial side-by-side comparisons (ex. Ridgeracer) the 360 absolutely holds its own, if not surpasses the PS3 graphically, and that is (afaik) with only ONE core operating, (supposedly the first software to utalize its full multi-cpu potential is Halo3 era, ie. 2007 or later), plus it emulates Doom3 Halo, ect. which the PS3 will never play.

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't see HOW a game built for a 128-bit system can be made to look any better on a later system.
    The game is still only built to use so many polygons and whatnot..

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

[​IMG]

As far as I'm concerned gaming died a little with the move to 3D. Maybe that's why handhelds so well? People want to go back to the golden era of gaming?

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Correct, but it is being rendered at 640x480.

If you set your emulator to draw more pixels and antialias, you get a graphical improvement.

I've even done this with GBA games, blown them up to 1024x768 with 4x AA...looks amazing.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Personally I don't get it. Normally I'm all about the retro (mainly because I'm too ****ing lazy to get with the times and know that eventually everything comes around again). 2D was great when it was the ****. But now it's just ****. Time to move forward. A pox on platformers and 2D whatnots. My toilet pants are knees. Now I just sound crazy.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

24. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I love this little gem of a quote. Really, this just sums up Sony's attitude on gamers as nothing more than lemmings.
    :eek:

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In their defence they might mean deaf players?

:rolleyes: