[PS3] Blu-Ray Mini Review

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Jun 28, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK, so I was at Best Buy last night and they had out the new $1,000 Samsung Blu-Ray player, connected to a Samsung HDTV. (Presumably via HDMI, but I do not know this for sure... and how is it that Samsung has their player out NOW, but Sony's won't be out until OCTOBER?)

Anyway... I wasn't impressed. They had a demo disc running and while a couple of the demos (Chicken Little, Kung Fu Hustle, some Swiss watch video shot by NHK) were pretty impressive, some of the others (The Manchurian Candidate, Pirates of the Caribbean) didn't look any better than standard DVD. In fact, they looked WORSE, because while I was expecting HD video on a par with what I see daily on HBO-HD, INHD, or HDNet Movies, this was fairly heavily-artifacted video. Watching a normal DVD of Ultraviolet on my regular old Sony DVD player last night just emphasized the lack of quality on much of the Blu-Ray playback. Ultraviolet on DVD looked BETTER than much of the Blu-Ray playback I watched.

In other words, the quality of Blu-Ray playback (or HD-DVD playback, for that matter) is largely contingent on the DVD mastering process doing what it's supposed to.

I think any plans I might have had to buy a PS3 purely for Blu-Ray playback are now evaporated. Adam Sessler (from X-Play on G4) made the point that if a PS3 costs $600, and Sony's Blu-Ray player costs $1,000 and DOESN'T play games, then is the PS3's Blu-Ray player inferior in quality to the one in the $1,000 standalone player?

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Do you think there is any possibility that the discs being used werent blue ray?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well the ps2 laser and dvd playback was inferior to a standalone machine, so hardly any surprise there.

And about the quality of blu-ray this is what I've been saying all along. Films have so much stuff like grain filters and bluring, and the fact that most films are close ups of people talking that there will be very little benefit to watching them in HD over SD

Yes documentarys & sport may really benefit, but movies, not so much at all, hence any necessity to re-buy your dvd collection and spend $1000-1500 to buy a player seems pointelss.

DVD upscaling for LCD & Plasma will probably suffice 99% of buyers and give them a 'slight' percieved image boost over normal DVD.

4. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

No, it was ONE disc that obviously came with the player.

BTW, interesting side note: Where the Blu-Ray player was being displayed is where the HD-DVD player was previously displayed. A friend of mine asked the BB employee why this was, and he reportedly said "well, Sony paid for the use of that space, so we had to move the HD-DVD player somewhere else". And where was that? Off to the side... and NOT EVEN HOOKED UP TO A TV. That's right. The folks at the Pineville Best Buy expect you to buy an HD-DVD player without even being able to see how it plays. (Great job, folks. I've heard of a soft sell, but this is ridiculous.)

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I was contemplating buying an HD-DVD player on Monday (why? just because... I like to spend money) but fortunately I read this article beforehand and well... it all just made sense... (ganked from Slashdot)

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/10reasonsHDDVDsfailed.php

That and my 200+ DVD's look just fine I think... I've looked at Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and neither look better to me...

BTW clayj... why in the crap were you torturing yourself watching Ultra-Violet? :D

6. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Well, the technology is still pretty new, so of course it's bound to get better. It's really hard to judge so early in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's life.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This is interesting. But there's some things missing here. And how are we to know that the whole setup wasn't screwed up. I mean, it's best buy, not a high end audio/video outlet that knows what they're doing.

Although, it could be that bluray and hd-dvd won't be as impressive as people think. We'll just have to keep our eyes open and make sure that both sides of this war aren't blowing smoke up our asses. It's like the HD Cold War...

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Oh, that's just too funny. :)

I think, though, that the author pretty much sums it up that high-def DVD's aren't necessarily posed to completely overthrow the DVD market just yet. I have to admit, that on my 30" HDTV, my movies, even at 480p, look excellent. And on standard (non-HD) satellite (over composite, not even S-Video) look really good. So even though I love technology, I'm definitely going to hold off for at least a few years before deciding whether or not to go High-Def for my DVD's (HD Sat will probably come by the end of the year for me.)

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

This format war is annoying. In the end, it's the consumer who ends up getting caught in the crossfire.

I feel like wathever format I'm going to choose, the other will win. I'm that lucky. :D

I've read an article yesterday about how both next gen HD formats have already failed. MAybe a little over the top but there are some good arguments here and there. Linky

I'll probably end up buying a PS3 after the first price drop, but the purchase won't have anything to do with blu-ray. It will be for the games.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well... if you do choose the wrong format at least nobody will want to borrow your discs. :)

11. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Same thing at my local best buy clay J, where the HD-DVD player used to be set up blu-ray is now there. But unlike your best buy, the HD DVD player was set up in the "you try it theater" that has everything under the sun hooked up to a very nice plasma, and that crappy logitech remote. It was nice being able to mess with the HD-DVD player, I like how you can acess the menus while the movie is still running. The Phantom of the Opera was playing, and I must say is looked awsome, FAR FAR better than the blu-ray demo disc.

I 100% agree with Clay J, the blu-ray demo looked horrible, only Chicken Little looked remotely good. It had some sort of weird artifacting, almost like it was trying to eliminate or compensate for film grain (perhaps that's why chicken little looked the best). Who knows though, perhaps the demo disc is just encoded crappy, though the HD-DVD demo disc looked supurb at the demo station before it was moved out in favor of the blu-ray player.

12. Timepass macrumors 65816

I see blue ray winning the war because it upper limit far suprase HD-DVD.

Right now the thing holding back blue ray the the manufactoring of the lens for it is hard to do and has a very high failure rate. There is no way to identify which lens are going to bad until after they been completed.

If they figure out a way to decrease the failure rate to drive down the cost blue ray is going to win.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed. We might think this thing will look 100 times better than the standard DVD when in reality it doesn't but it is still early in the life cycle.

Bless

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I don't think this is going to matter much to Joe Everybody. As long as his movie fits on a single disk, the rest won't matter much to him. He'll go for the less expensive solution.

Superior formats have failed in favor of their inferior less expensive competitors in the past.

Personally, looking only at specs on paper, I'd go for Blu-Ray, but I'm going to wait a while to see how it will fare in the real world.

Hmm… can they both coexist? Sounds like a consumer nightmare. Any thoughts?

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Oh, Christ, is it ever a consumer nightmare. It's terrible that the average, not-so-inclined consumer will have to choose. Which one is best? Which one has better quality in video and sound? Very few of your average consumer will be concerned with space, which Bluray wins hands down.

I really like the benefits of Bluray personally. I think it's a great format. But if HD HDVD has much better quality audio/video encoding, then HD DVD will be the best to go with.

It really comes down to the lesser evil. Which one that is, we'll have to wait at least a year before I think it's quantifiable.

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Another thing I have to get all the details about both format, is how much cripple wear they both sport.

I wouldn't want to pop one of my disk into my computer and be greeted to a message the likes of:

"Sorry (Well, not really) but you are not authorized to play this
    media on this hardware configuration. Please contact your local
    MPAA stormtrooper for more details and swift punishment". ​

Well. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't like the noise/rumors I'm hearing about both formats. :)

17. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Now we are going to wait for DVD JON to crack both formats :) :rolleyes: :p

EDIT: The force is strong in him.

18. zerger macrumors newbie

Does this explain the low res?

From DVD Town

Though purely anecdotal, I saw an upconverted DVD on a Hitachi 52" and was duly impressed. Much of the graininess of standard DVD's (esp as they are rendered on HD TVs) was completely gone.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is what I'm saying. I'm sure for a lot of people upscaled DVD will do until somthing better/cheaper & more convieniant comes along.

Why did UMD fail? Why did MiniDisc & Philips DCC fail to remove cassette tape and die. It was infact a format neither expected that won (MP3)

Why did MP3; a compressed and hence reduced quality product do so so well and become defacto portable standard.

Covieniance and perceived cheapness.

Somthing both HD-DVD & especially BluRay dont seem to offer.

I strongly suspect both formats to die.

20. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

My thoughts on all of this are pretty much summed up in this post:

Link

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Exactly. Convenience is a huge factor. Then there's price. And way farther down the line is image/sound quality.

Lethal

22. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Well, for now. I like apple quicktime 7 and it looks perfect to view movies on it. Apple should make their own format :)

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good post, I agree. The fact that you need an HDTV to fully take advanatge of the quality (in theory) is one thing, and another is the fact that, well, do movies realy look that much better in HD than on normal DVD? Is the quality really that much better? And further to this, if the original movie wasn't shot in HD, what is the benefit of putting that film on Bu Ray or HD-DVD? Aren't you basically just upconverting it, and not gaining any additional quality?

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Odds are the movie was shot on film so they'd just go back to the film master and make a HD copy from that. Although, I think, some people started going film->HD->SD a few years ago so they have an HD master already sitting in a vault somewhere.

Lethal

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah okay, good to know, thanks.... :cool: