PS3 Bonus! - In-game Ads! The innovation just doesn't stop...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The only way i see this being a problem is if the ads disturb the game but if they like grand theft style ads on radio shows(in game) or street boards then i see no big concern...but if its messing with the game then we have a problem.

Bless

3. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If you've played SWAT4 you'd see ad posters plastered on the walls of buildings like 'King Kong, opening next Friday!' or 'F.E.A.R. the ultimate FPS game! Now available at gamestop.com $49.95', etc.

It really does suck and throw you out of the "mood" of the game.

That said, having ads on the side of race car tracks doesn't bother me, or putting a few on billboards in a city isn't bad either if done well. Heck, I wasn't even bothered by the Burger King logo on the mat in Fight Night 3, because it was done in context and such things are actually done.

If it's like SWAT4 though then it can really come off cheesy and spoil the mood of the game; plus the ads rotate which means they'll change every time you play.

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

It will be a problem. I'm not paying $60+ USD to watch/hear commercials.

Also, part of what made the GTA series so fun is that they made fun of Ads, not actually advertise something.

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

And they date really quickly. Same as trailers at the start of purchased DVDs that you can't skip. They become irrelevant fast and are then just an irritant.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't care as long as they blend in naturally.

For example, if I'm driving through a city in real life, I EXPECT billboards everywhere. I EXPECT to see big advertisements every block or two. As long as it's put in there and looks natural I'm fine.

Now, if I was playing Kingdom Hearts 3 and saw advertisements for Coca-Cola...that might annoy me.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats what i'm saying..once they blend them in right then i'm good to go...no skin of my shoulders.

Bless

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Racing games would be alright to me, but not F-Zero, Mario kart, fictional racing games.

Anything else? no. especially games like HL2 where you're in the future. "Oh! I'm in the future, wow a big mac still costs £1.99!"

the only sort of game that this would blend into would be GTA or similar.

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

This isn't unique to the PS3 or new; EA Sports games for the past few years have been full of promotions. NBA 2K6 has a ton, for example ("The Powerbar Halftime Performer").

Fight Night Round 3 also has tons of in-game promotions: all the fights are sponsored! ("Fighting for the Dodge Champion Belt!")

Overall, much ado about nothing, IMO.

10. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Why not leave reality to the real world, and fun to the video games?

Video games are supposed to be fun... not a shadow of consumerism...

Some of us still like to play games that are nothing like reality... doing anything but making fun of advertisements would be a crime against the art.

Now if they want to splash a few ads in the menu and give me the game for free...

11. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

But this is in context and not streaming. It is content specifically designed and put into the game - a game that really does have such things in Real Life.

Sports games are victims of all sorts of advertisements and it's not abnormal, heck its almost required for realism sake.

But when you're talking an ad distribution as I believe they are, ads that are streamed into games from ad servers... well... I think that is very different.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never thought of it like that. Very good!

13. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

let the PS3 bashers welcome because this is something limited to the PS3 and not the developers who put the content in games :rolleyes:

you know, when they make NFL 07, only the PS3 version will have adds and the Revo and 360 will just have no adds in there cause their systems dont support adds :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree, to a certain extent.

In FNR3, the ads are there for a couple of reasons, including the fact that fights in real life are sponsored by companies... not to mention, I'd rather they used "real" sponsors (companies you've heard of) than make up fake companies. Real is always better than fake.

In GRAW, there are some ads scattered throughout the Mexico City cityscape... for Nokia, for example. But I expect to see billboards in a major city. For them not to be there would be, well, fake.

More real vs. fake: PGR3 is superior to Ridge Racer 6 for a number of reasons, most notably the fact that PGR3 has REAL cars, Ridge Racer doesn't. PGR3 also has more realistic tracks, based in reality. And one thing that kinda bugs me about Burnout Revenge is (1) fake city names ("Angel Valley"? come on, it's Los Angeles) and (2) (OK, two things) fake cars.

15. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

In the end it really depends on the game and application.

I wouldn't say it's completely up to the developers, moreso the publishers.

I don't mind "fake" in games that aren't, at the same time, trying to be "real".

For example San Fransisco Rush: 2049, I *loved* that game and nothing it was really "real".

Sports, specifically actual real-life sports, I prefer presented realistically. Though the occasional NFL Blitz is definitely not some I'd discourage.

16. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

Anyone currently playing Guild Wars on the PC?
    My reason for asking, is that it's an MMORPG that had NO montly subscription fee. Rather, it was subsidized by dynamic ads in the game.
    They tried to blend them in as best they could, but the fantasy genre of the game made it hard to ignore.
    I played it in beta, and wasn't sure if it was still subscription-free due to the ads.
    This would be a positive implementation of ads in a game, assuming they don't detract from the immersion, as mentioned earlier.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

offtopic: well that depends... fifa 2006 looks the best and has real names but it's hands down the worst football game i've seen since perhaps.. EVER .. international super star soccer 98 from the N64 and fifa 98 are better.. honestly

i've nothing against adds liek in a stadium and a few adds around a racing track but sometiems it goes compeltlyo ver baord like with need for speed udnerground 2 where you are using a "cingular" phone and the adds are position so that the racing driver on the track sees them clearly (which is unrealistic)

but streaming new ads to your game thorugh the internet .. what's next ? while laoding showing some ads ? ..perhaps they should do less expensive advertising on tv and thus wouldn't need to sell add space themselves ? (anybody seen the "the godfather ad" ? seriously in the TV the game looks worse than Mafia

18. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well sure, a game can definitely be presented realistically visually and still suck; the marriage of refined gameplay with graphics is what most people want. Others, though, will love FIFA '06 simply because they think it looks good.

19. nimbus macrumors regular

Games have ads now, and they will have ads later. PS3, 360, and maybe even Rev. Get used to it, if you don't like it, don't buy the game. That might change people's minds. Please, find another reason to hate the PS3, because this reason is pretty lame...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I don't know why you think I hate the PS3, heh. Sure the thread title was sarcastic but that does not equal hate. :p

I can't hate the PS3, I've never seen one nor ever used one. I can hate Sony if want to, just like so man mac users can hate Microsoft and still buy a 360, heh.

But I digress... Ads suck, and having a streaming ad system done by Sony for PS3 sucks even more. Putting ads in a game that enhance its realistic direction (ala Fight Night 3) is something I don't mind, but injecting ads that serve nothing but to squeeze revenue out of consumers who have already paid for the software is simply not cool.

21. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Just as long as Snake doesn't cure his spasmings with an ice cold Pepsi...

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Apparently you never played the Wipeout series where Redbull ads were plastered on every other billboard. Or Metal Gear where FHM and Marloboro was apparent, and even MGS where other Konami games were talked about with Psychomantis..

I'm afraid this whole topic is a jab by the Nintendo nazi's (the title is very evident of this). Games have had adds in them for a long time. It's nothing new, and certainly will never change.

23. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

cheers to that :cool:

24. cait-sith macrumors regular

If this is the low-point of your day, you're still having a pretty good day.

25. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

*sigh*

Not only did I think people would understand the difference between the concept and method of delivery we are talking about here and what has been in other games but I also thought peoples comments would transcend simply nitpicking a line in the thread subject.

Sure the "The innovation just doesn't stop..." was a jab at the PS3 but so what?

"Xbox 360 Bonus - Online gaming, the innovation just doesn't stop!"

"Nintendo Revolution - Backwards compatibility, the innovation just doesn't stop!"

Those are both valid and equal sarcasms. There we go, I guess now that makes me not only a console hater but also a nazi! Hurrah!

What I seem to see is:

1) some people being neutral and thinking that yeah, paying $60 for a game and having to deal with streaming ads suck,
    2) people being indifferent about the issue, and
    3) people jumping to defend or belittle the ads to ensure the 'good name' of the PS3 not be tarnished.

Come on now, ads suck and I care. Although I'm probably among the few that run Firefox with the Adblock extension to browse the web almost completelt ad-free...