[PS3] Build Cost Breakdown

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, May 31, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

Abulia

From CNN:

2. thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Best quote to laugh out loud:
    It's a SUPERCOMPUTER! :D

3. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well that's simply super :D

Can do super calculations for home entertainment? Like 1 dvd in disc tray + 1 dvd eject button = no dvd WOW :eek:

4. macrumors Core

Dagless

5. macrumors 65816

faintember

It can also do: ($xbox 360 + $Wiii) < $PS3 :p

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

No, that theory is wrong. F-

7. macrumors 65816

faintember

Ummm 299+199<599
    Those are the respective prices as far as i am aware..

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

Sorry I'm running off UK prices. Where I think the Wii60 costs more than just 1 PS3.

The Wii60 is £10 less than a PS3. But I'd need the wifi adapter. Wii60= £450.

9. macrumors 65816

faintember

Maybe, and with prices not "finalized" on the PS3 or Wiii we dont really know yet. I just wanted to take the time to bash the PS3; possibly the worst idea since the Jaguar or Tubrografx IMHO.

10. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Err, in the State at least, Premium 360 $399 + (hopefully) Wii $199 = $598 < $599 and you get he HDD and WiFi adaptor, and wireless controller. If MS is smart and the HDDVD is $99, it's only a tad more and you get the HD movie playback as well.

11. macrumors regular

I can't imagine the cell costing more then the high 100 dollar range to make. Its based off of the G5 which is now a pretty old chip now. Even with it's minor improvements that seems high. I really think sony isn't losing too much money on the PS3. Although now that I think of it that GPU might be the most expensive part and the blu-ray lazar.

12. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    A 360 even worth a crap costs 499.99. A Wii is possibly 250. That's 750.00 right there (USD). Add a wifi adapter to the 360, that's 850.00. Add a HDDVD drive to the 360, that's at LEAST 950.00, if not more likely 1050.00.

So, what's exactly cheaper? Yeah, I thought so. You can't compare a crappy 360 with no features to a PS3 with all the features.

13. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's not correct. The $399 Premium XBox 360 does not include a WiFi adapter; that's an extra $99. Meanwhile, the $599 PS3 does include WiFi.

So a Premium 360 with a 20 GB hard drive and WiFi costs $499. A PS3 with a 60 GB hard drive, Blu-ray, and WiFi costs $599.

If HD-DVD only were to cost $99 (which may or may not be true), then a XBox 360 w/WiFi, w/20 GB HD, and w/HD-DVD would be $599, vs a PS3 w/WiFi, w/Blu-ray, and w/60 GB HD, would be the same price.

Microsoft gouges consumers on peripherals like WiFi.

Plus you'd have to pay for XBox Live, adding $50 a year to that price.

The 360 can quickly cost more than the PS3 if you want HD-DVD, WiFi, and online play.

14. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...any chance to rip into sony is fair play...don't you know that. sony is entering the next level....more than a gaming machine...You get what you pay for.

Bless

15. macrumors 68020

srobert

A supercomputer? nice. I'll be able to help cure cancer while I climb the ranks of Armored Core's raven arena… after the first price drop that is.

Even if it's worth it's price, I don't feel like dancing on the roof :( I'll probably end up waiting for the first price drop before enjoying the PS3's exclusives. It's a shame because Playstation has always been a Mecca for the RPG (eastern style) fans. It will probably still be but it will cost me a lot more to join the fun this time around.

I'm a little about surprised about how much it costs sony to build those bluray drives.

Personally, I don't mind the fact that the 360 doesn't have WIFI under the hood. It's not meant to be portable so I don't feel it's an inconvenience to have it wired.

16. macrumors 65816

I was wondering who would have posted something like this, and then I saw you changed your 'tar since I saw it last... which explained the entire post.

Anyway, what's exactly cheaper? A Wii. A 360. Lunch at Burger King. A PSP. A DS. A crappy laptop. A decent desktop. A good book. A great book.

Here's the thing - I have no problem with the PS3 having OMG!!11111!! features, but features that have no tangible benefit that drive the cost up to the levels they're disucssing... that's why people are ripping on them. The PS3 will be fun to play, just like the X360 is, the Wii will be, the PS2 was, the Xbox was, the gamecube was, and all other consoles before it (mostly) were.

I think it's silly of Sony to try and use the PS3 to bring out Blu-Ray... it was different with the PS2 and DVD's, because the market was already shifting to DVD's (slowly), and there was a LARGE consumer desire to get from VHS to something of higher quality. Those conditions *don't* exist today. People are extremely happy with the quality of DVD players, and many are still transitioning entire collections from VHS to DVD. The Blu-Ray player won't matter to many, and as such, isn't worth it to most consumers. For that reason, people will continue to laugh at Sony.

And so what if they do? Will you get less enjoyment from your 'not just a PS3' PS3 because people laugh at it's price? Will the games suddenly play differently because people think paying $600 for a gaming console is stupid?

No, it won't. So stop complaining when people laugh - they have good reason too - just like you would if Nintendo tried bringing some new optical format to the world, and charged people an extra 300 dollars/console to pay for it.

17. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Remember when they touted the ps2 (or was it ps1) to be running the starwars missile defense programme. :D :D The **** sony come out with is hillarious...

18. macrumors 65816

or rendering toy story in real time...

19. macrumors 68040

XNine

The chips inside the PS2 COULD have been used for control chips inside of missiles. There were numerous mentioning of it not only from Sony, but from media sources, which is why the PS 2 was not allowed in most middle eastern countries.

The PS3 is capable of high calculations. So what? So was the G5 Powermac. Clusters of them have made some of the world's fastest Supercomputers. Imagine what the cell processor would be capable of when creating a large cluster of them. The data that could be broken down by it would be vast.

You know, maybe it's time I start slandering the Wii for it's LACK of features.

20. thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Slander is spoken, libel is written.

Please get it right if you're going to make a habit of trolling and threadcrapping at every turn. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 65816

slandering?

you take your gaming a bit too seriously. go ahead, slander the Wii. For it's LACK of features. Of course, no one will really care if you do, you'll just be re-enforcing the image you've made for yourself here at MR...

22. macrumors 68040

XNine

:rolleyes: Alright buddy. Say what you will.

23. macrumors 68020

srobert

Technically, you can't technically "start". :D

P.S.: I like your avatar. What anime is that?

24. macrumors 68000

You have a point there, in that that's all he ever does in forum 18... :rolleyes:

On topic, no-one except investors and Sony execs really care how much they cost to build, rather what they cost to buy

25. macrumors Core

Dagless

What? the next level is doing mroe than gaming? So don't you mean it's a computer? the next level for consoles is not being a computer. Why would it be? consoles and computers are side by side, one keeps its specs dormant for years whilst more optimised code is developed for it, one keeps evolving.
    The PS3 has the worst aspects to both machines. It's expensive and it can't be upgraded. It's a crippled computer. It's like buying a PowerMac with the CPU, GPU and memory glued into place with no slots for upgrade.

More than gaming. I better tell my Pentium 3 500mhz computer that it's on equal terms with the PS3.
    The "more than" was done decades ago. The Amiga. Only it was fed on a diet of pirated games and utilities. Commodore went bankrupt from it.

On topic though. Does nobody care about the cost of the games? People keep spouting this "but the PS3 is cheaper than the Wii60" (great, 1 console is a pinch cheaper than 2 combined :rolleyes: ), where we've been told that Wii games will cost £30, 360 games already cost £35-£50 and PS3 games will... cost... MORE. Sony will be making up for the PS3 console loss with games and bluray films. So you're expecting them to be cheap? If the 360 games go for £50 in stores in the UK how much do you expect bluray to go for?

PS3 games will be extortionately overpriced. If people buy the console will they spend a possible £60 on HD versions of games they already own?