Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briandeath

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
i originally had problems charging controller, would have to turn power on and off, plug and unplug controller then would start charging. now controller does not work i tried charging every way possible (computer/through tv.) so i thought controller was bad so i got a new controller and that does not work either.by the way i have tried 3 different cords to charge controller.so i cannot play any disc games but here is the kicker, my wireless adaptors for my rock band game works, that is the only way i can navigate around my menu screen. i have pressed reset button on back of controller and reset my default settings to factory standards, any more suggestions?

lifespeachy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
confused

I was under the impression that this was called Mac Rumors. Meaning it was about mac computer problems. Not problems with PS3, I understand the controller is suppose to work on a mac but I have yet to experience this brilliance because all my controller does it blink! It will connect via bluetooth but that is the end of what it will do, the games I tried don't freeze but don't move forward either. Any ideas? I have an iMac Intel Duo and do not own a PS3.

bmh114

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
Mac/PS3 problem

For the past 2 years, i've been charging my ps3 controllers through a usb port on my Mac - never had a problem. 2 weeks ago, I upgraded my mac to Snow Leopard OS (10.6.4). Now, after charging my controllers in the same manner as before, the home button will not remotely start the ps3 - all i get are the flashing red lights. The only solution is to power on the ps3 manually, connect the controller to the ps3 via usb and hit the home button - this syncs the controller again - works normally after that. If i don't charge the controller after the next ps3 shutdown, the controller will remotely start the ps3 every time, but as soon as i connect it to the mac again, the ability to remotely start is again disabled.

It would appear that the upgraded OS on my mac would be the cause of the problem, but I can't find any kind of setting for the usb ports that i can tinker with in an attempt to fix the problem.

Any suggestions??

knikito

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
wierd

I double checked, even triple checked my WIRED ps3 controller for any cord or usb or button problems, and such. I even dusted my ps3 inside and out including the two usb ports. But for some reason i plug my controler into the ps3 press the home button to turn it on, but even though the controller and ps3 are both unharmed and perfect but the controller refuses to turn on. I thought the controller might have inside problems but the 4 led lights still blink when i plug it in, so i know it runs perfectly. PLEASE HELP I REALLY NEED THAT CONTROLLER TO WORK AGAIN. HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I double checked, even triple checked my WIRED ps3 controller for any cord or usb or button problems, and such. I even dusted my ps3 inside and out including the two usb ports. But for some reason i plug my controler into the ps3 press the home button to turn it on, but even though the controller and ps3 are both unharmed and perfect but the controller refuses to turn on. I thought the controller might have inside problems but the 4 led lights still blink when i plug it in, so i know it runs perfectly. PLEASE HELP I REALLY NEED THAT CONTROLLER TO WORK AGAIN. HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::
if your using your mac to charg the ps3 controller plug the usb cord with the controller in the ps3 and than press the ps logo button your ps3 should turn on and reconize your controller.

on a side not typing the same letter 10 times for each charachter and in all caps with 5 bazillion smileys is not gonna make things go any quicker.

RoryMcEwing

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Arghhhh :(

I have just came upon experience of this thread however following techniques you guys have used to sort it doesn't help me, my controller continuously blinks then when plugged in it works.
I turned the PS3 off and it didn't make a difference so I tried pressing the reset button but this controller doesn't have the button although the gaps there, i just got this new white controller from china :(

HELP :(

Fishballs27

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I have just came upon experience of this thread however following techniques you guys have used to sort it doesn't help me, my controller continuously blinks then when plugged in it works.
I turned the PS3 off and it didn't make a difference so I tried pressing the reset button but this controller doesn't have the button although the gaps there, i just got this new white controller from china :(

I am having the exact same problem, also with a white controller from china. There is a reset button, you just need to fiddle around in the gap but it doesnt help the problem anyway.

Please if someone has managed to sort this problem out, please urgently respond

robertbrian23

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
i have the same problem.. continuous blinking on my ps3 tried on the ps3 of the store where i bought it and it works. firmware 3.42, i have updated it to 3.50. still no luck. :confused:

volcomstone1232

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2010
i have a solution that worked for me..

go to settings>accessory settings>reassign controllers

reassign your controller to 2, then 3,4,5,6,7

then turn off your ps3 from the remote then shut the switch off on the back of ps3

wait a couple seconds and turn on the switch on and manually turn on

wait till is says press ps button and then plug in remote and press ps button

then when it connects remove cord and it will work

Edit: only worked for about half an hour....^^

tired something else and it has worked so far
Shut off ps3
turn on with controller disconnected
plug in when it ways press ps button
wait for it to connect and then reset it
dissconect cord and it shold work

Last edited:

bullsgap

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
China Controller

I Have a Contoller that came with my ps3 that works fine and i also ebayed a white one from china..which worked when i first got it but now it's just 4 fast blinking red lights when i try to sync it..unless i plug it up then works fine..but that's not right ..tried several things no luck...i also have a wii and ordered a remote and nunchuck off ebay again from china...remote has had a huming noise and the nunchuck no longer seems to work? so i don't think it's my ps3. i think instead of saving a few buck..don't buy anything from china...

bullsgap

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010

I am having the exact same problem, also with a white controller from china. There is a reset button, you just need to fiddle around in the gap but it doesnt help the problem anyway.

Please if someone has managed to sort this problem out, please urgently respond

check out my post ..i think it more of a china issue than ps3

g33ky

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Sony standards under question ?

Fellow PS3ians,

firstly wishing you all a great power packed puffed eyes and aching thumbs year 2011 ahead.

secondly, i am fed up of the PS3 issues now.

I AM A GAMER, not a technician, nor am i customer who should be treated like this, nor am i lawyer who understands legal agreements in the warranty.
I AM THE END USER of a product. i have paid for the value i intent to get of my money.

This is a gaming console. delicate circuitry inside, possible tank body outside. i understand that. Gaming controllers are meant to be TOUGH! LIKE TOUGH! if there is sixxaxis and dualshock and crazy cool stuff inside, why shd i worry about handling it? MAKE THE BODY AND CONNECTIONS TOUGH! POSSIBLY WATER PROOF?!

Coming to my point,
this thread was started in 2008, its 2011 now and i am facing the same issue. bluetooth interference problem is not that big that SONY cannot handle, interference from sources alike were common for devices like heart monitors etc which are fixed in due course of time.. Battery issues ? cheap chinese cells work longer than this..

Why is Sony ignoring this issue ?

Just as an input, my PS3 was powered on and i slept off, it powered off automatically and the blinking lights issue started. tried everything that has been mentioned but no luck so far.
any similar experience ?

Rgds,
Geek

Cuddles

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
I've never had a problem with my PS3/controllers. I do baby them...kind of, and they are all Sony brand 60 dollar controllers.

ok ok...I definitely baby my white controller. :D

g33ky

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Fixed finally !

I knew it was something inside the controller.

Ok guys, i dunno about you guys, but most of you must have tried to open the controller like me.

My controller was dead. it was not powering on the PS3 by pressing the home button.

there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind.
1. all connections inside are not soldered, there is a film of connections that have to be placed perfectly on the buttons.
2. the buttons on the back of the controller, 1 and 2, (you press them using your index fingers) are tricky to assemble , so remember how you took em off to assemble them right

My issue was simple a non aligned connection. the moment i set it right , the blinking thing stopped.
As a couple of people here have mentioned that dropping the controller helped them get it working..is probably the reason you accidently got the wiring in place.

The moment my strip got into place, it came back to life instantly.

P.S. mine was completely dead, the home buttons was not responding at all.
the blinking lights used to stop flashing after some time.

I'm attaching the pictures i took, and the wire i set in place. The 2 plastic white colored pins indicate that there is a wire strip under it.

mostly it gets out of place. Fix the Wire strip under the motherboard onto the two white pins, adjusting it using the holes on the wire strip. then install the mother board on top is it ....

hope this helps ... you guys might save on some $$ in buying new remotes ...

Attachments

• IMG00149-20110112-2219.jpg
    IMG00149-20110112-2219.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG00150-20110112-2219.jpg
    IMG00150-20110112-2219.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 548

dpittman22

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
JUST PLUG THE CORD (USB to MINI USB CORD) IN TO THE PS3 AND IN THE CONTROLLER,

JUST PLUG THE CORD (USB to MINI USB CORD) IN TO THE PS3 AND IN THE CONTROLLER, SO THAT THEY CAN COMMUNICATE TO EACH OTHER TO WORK.
DPITTMAN22

gr8pics

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
And what if my sofa are longer away than the usb cable then, how do you solve that, moving the tv onto my lap so i dont have to sit on the floor?

doglover2

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
I've been having a problem with my PS3 controllers that my resident PS expert can't help me with, so I'm turning to you guys.

More than half the time when I try to turn the controllers on, all they do is blink 4 lights continuously, and never "connect" to the console. As a result, most of the time, I am tethered to the console via the USB cord, because the flashy lights go away when I plug the controller in.

The only thing that seems to fix the problem so far is turning the console off (via the switch in the back) and then turning it back on. Only then will the PS button get the controller to assign itself a number and work properly.

This happens when the controllers have been charging and when they have been not charging, so I don't think it is a battery issue.

I have the recent 40GB PS3 and I have the Nyko BlueWave remote dongle plugged in. I leave the PS3 on pretty much all the time. I don't know if any of these things are of relevance, but may be, so I included them.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

I had that happen, wot i did was plus in your usb lead into your ps3 and hand set wait a few secs then remove from the hand set while holding down the ps3 button in the middle

aoxonoma

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Dear friends,

I have a 80gig 3 year old PS3 that works flawlessly.

I played it all morning.

I went out this afternoon, and just came home to find that BOTH of my controllers won't sign into my PS3/my PS3 won't recognize either controller.

When I hit the PS button, the 4 lights blink for a few seconds and then give up and go blank. Both batteries are fully charged. The only way I can get one to work is by plugging it directly into my PS3 with my USB Cable.

I googled this hell out of this problem, and while I found thousands have encountered this, I can't seem to find a solution that respects the fact that both controllers coincidentally are having the same problem.

help?

Last edited:

PhaNToM WisH

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Dualshock3 sixaxis

my ps3 wireless controller wont flash or charge..
I tried to reset it but it doesn;t work.. :'(

somebody help me...

your faithfully PhaNToM WisH

flipper906

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
This worked for me

After reading the posts above i tried plugging in the controller while the 4 blinking lights were going. It stopped and assigned to a number, as soon as i unplugged it, it started blinking again. So i tried this a couple more times with the blinking and finally it stayed on a number and it's been working fine since. Hope this helps....

Master Xehanort

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Why is this this happening to my Dualshock 3 controller

Hi, I have two dualshock 3 wireless controllers. 1 controller which came with my PS3 works perfectly and another that I bought separately is new. However the controller works with the USB cable but without it doesn't work. When I take off the USB cable the 4 red lights just blinks for awhile and turns off after. Also another problem is that the PS3 vibrates and sounds like a frog croaking and vibrates more louder than my other perfectly working controller.

I don't know if the battery needs replacing or the controller is messed up or not or the PS3 controller needs to be reset. I really have no clue.

Edit - I tried resettig and syncing the controller but it hasn't helped.

whiteout

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Help!!!

I recently bought a playstaion 3 controller...it was working fine for about two weeks and now it will turn on my system and connect to my ps3 but it wont do anything after that...I tried to plug it in to the USB cord and it still wont work even though it shows it's connected...I also tried to reset it it still does noting.....does anyone have some info that could help???

edit-also when I plug the controller into the USB the light indicating that it is connected begins blinking slowly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.